Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Profile bloat in Non Persistent VDI user profiles

Question

I currently have an issue with our non-persistent VDI pilot group.  Some of their profiles are in excess of 20GB, most of which I believe is somewhat related to MS Teams, but also some other stuff.  Currently, we only have minimal Citrix profile exclusions configured, but tomorrow, I'll be implementing the following exclusions, but I don't think the real culprit is listed here.  

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\media-stack
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Logs
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\GPUCache
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\meeting-addin\Cache

The main offender over several profiles looks to be:

C:\CitrixProfiles\UPM\<USER>\UPM_Profile\appData\Local\Microsoft\Teams

C:\CitrixProfiles\UPM\<USER>\Pending\UPM_Profile\appData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\IndexedDB\https_teams.microsoft.com_0.indexeddb.leveldb

C:\CitrixProfiles\UPM\<USER>\UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\Tracing - We have discontinued use of Lync, so I may see if this can just be deleted.

C:\CitrixProfiles\UPM\<USER>\UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\

I had a user this morning (and this has happened to her in the past) where she rebooted her non persistent VDI and her login would time-out, apparently due to the size of the profile.  I believe this is the case, because, with her consent, I gave her a whole new blank profile and she logged right in within a few seconds.  I cleaned up the "https_teams.microsoft.com_0.indexeddb.leveldb" in both Local and Roaming, which shaved about 6GB off of her total profile size and she was then able to log in.

I guess my questions are:

1.  Are you guys seeing profile bloat with MS Teams or anything else and how are you mitigating?

2.  What is a "normal" profile size for your env., specifically, non-persistent Win 10 VDI profiles?  I realize this may vary widely.

3.  Is 20GB "normal"?

We have about 120 persistent systems and our Citrix footprint will be growing with a push towards non-persistent, so I'm trying to get a solution here for these test systems before we get a lot more non persistent systems and profiles fill up drives!  Currently, average profile size is 400-600MB as we're doing mostly published apps.  The only few people I have on non-persistent are blowing the profile sizes out of the water so I'm nervous to expand non persistent systems until I can get the "huge" profiles under control.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

jro profile.jpg

jwa profile.jpg

bhe profile.jpg

6 answers to this question

Hi

This is "known" behavior of Teams, I have an article here touching on profile exclusions when using FSLogix Profile Containers, however it should be the same for CPM:
Microsoft Teams in Citrix – Virtualwarlock.net

Microsoft has an article about Teams in VDI, both persistent and non-persistent:
Teams for Virtualized Desktop Infrastructure - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

Yep, fully agree with the earlier answers about this being a known issue - I had the same in my company.  Get the exclusions set properly and this will disappear like it never happened.

On a related note, you might want to think about implementing FSLogix  for user profiles.  That way even if the profiles do bloat, it doesn't stop users logging in (or even make it any slower).  If you have Office365 licenses, which you may well have if you're using Teams, then it doesn't even cost anything in licensing, you just need a fileshare to keep the files in.

Hello,

I have followed all these articles and we have all of the Exclusions in the list.  I don't anywhere see Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\IndexedDB listed as an exclusion.  Can this directory be excluded as in our environment this is the main culprit of Profile Bloat.  We are using CPM and FSLogix Containers.  

Thanks for your help!!!

1 hour ago, RAJ Katyal said:

Hello,

I have followed all these articles and we have all of the Exclusions in the list.  I don't anywhere see Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\IndexedDB listed as an exclusion.  Can this directory be excluded as in our environment this is the main culprit of Profile Bloat.  We are using CPM and FSLogix Containers.  

Thanks for your help!!!

What are you seeing in this folder? I currently don't have much in this folder, only about 24MB data.