Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix RDSH Design Considerations - One Big vs Many Small

Ian Dale1709161148

Question

Ok so here is the scenario, we're an MSP who provide customers with a hosted application. It is provided on a remote desktop along with Office 2016. Each customer has their own virtualised RDSH session hosts. We use Windows 2016 Hyper-v and Xendesktop 7.15 LTSR. The question I have is is it better to provide each customer with a small number of large resourced RDSH  session hosts (i.e. 2 x session hosts each with  16GB RAM) or with several smaller resourced session hosts (i.e. 4 x session hosts with 8GB RAM). Obviously the numbers may vary but the question is what is peoples experience with provide a small group of large resourced RDSH servers hosts vs a larger number of smaller resourced RDSH hosts.

Regards,

Ian

3 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Ian Dale1709161148 said:

Ok so here is the scenario, we're an MSP who provide customers with a hosted application. It is provided on a remote desktop along with Office 2016. Each customer has their own virtualised RDSH session hosts. We use Windows 2016 Hyper-v and Xendesktop 7.15 LTSR. The question I have is is it better to provide each customer with a small number of large resourced RDSH  session hosts (i.e. 2 x session hosts each with  16GB RAM) or with several smaller resourced session hosts (i.e. 4 x session hosts with 8GB RAM). Obviously the numbers may vary but the question is what is peoples experience with provide a small group of large resourced RDSH servers hosts vs a larger number of smaller resourced RDSH hosts.

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian,

This very difficult to answer it depend of each company and various factors like licences, storage network limitation, cost etc.

If I will you I will prefer larger number of smaller resourced RDSH host.

Thanks 

Manoj

I'd go with smaller systems, too

ie. if you have 2 large ones and one goes down, the remaining one has to take the full load of users, so twice the load. If you have 3 systems, a single system failure will only add 50% more load on each of the remaining systems. Add more systems for even less additional load in case of problems.

BfN, Konrad