Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Studio MMC could not create snap-in after 7.15 LTSR CU6 or CU7 upgrade

Grant Lui

Question

Hi everyone,

We are evaulating 7.15 LTSR CU7 upgrade from CU3 on an isolated test environment (without internet), we used the same environment previously in evaluating the upgrade from 7.6 to CU3, everything runs perfectly.

Preliminary site tests passed and nothing unusual reported.

434478399_Upgradescreen1.thumb.jpeg.4b5fea7f3f473897ef9f5de4ab655071.jpeg

All steps of upgrade (including the interim reboot betweens) completed without any errors and warnings.

Unfortunatelly, Studio fail to open (We ran with a domain admin account) at first launch after the upgrade.

238004714_Upgradescreen2.thumb.jpeg.25468e60a3c73979dc14e2ddec5677dc.jpeg

Message shows:

The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

CLSID FX:{147c3fb4-2709-47cd-8745-7ea822341189}

Could not load file or assembly "MmcSnapin, Version=7.15.700

at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
   at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap(String assemblyName, String typeName)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.CreateSnapIn(String assemblyName, String typeName)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ClassLibraryServices.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IClassLibraryServices.CreateSnapIn(String assemblyName, String typeName)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInInitializationOperation.OnStart()
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RunningOperationsTable.EnqueueOperation(Operation operation)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.StandAloneComponentData..ctor(SnapInRegistrationInfo info, Int32 bookkeepingId)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.FrameworkSnapInFactory.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.ISnapInFactory.CreateSnapIn(Int32 bookkeepingId, String snapInKey, Object& snapIn)

We though it maybe the CU7 iso we downloaded was corrupted so we downloaded the CU6 and repeated the upgrade process by using a pervious snapshot state of CU3 (before the CU7 upgrade). However, the same message was displayed when Studio was launched.

We tried uncheck the option "Check for publisher’s certificate revocation" as described in CTX139325 and also updated the root certificated as described in CTX233206, but neither of them works.

OS is 08R2 and had performed all windows updates last week online (not from WSUS), any idea what I'm missing, grateful for any tips or hints.

Many thanks!

5 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Grant Lui said:

Hi everyone,

We are evaulating CU7 upgrade from CU3 on an isolated test environment (without internet), we used the same environment previously in evaluating the upgrade from 7.6 to CU3, everything runs perfectly.

Preliminary site tests passed and nothing unusual reported.

434478399_Upgradescreen1.thumb.jpeg.4b5fea7f3f473897ef9f5de4ab655071.jpeg

All steps of upgrade (including the interim reboot betweens) completed without any errors and warnings.

Unfortunatelly, Studio fail to open (We ran with a domain admin account) at first launch after the upgrade.

238004714_Upgradescreen2.thumb.jpeg.25468e60a3c73979dc14e2ddec5677dc.jpeg

Message shows:

The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

CLSID FX:{147c3fb4-2709-47cd-8745-7ea822341189}

Could not load file or assembly "MmcSnapin, Version=7.15.700

at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
   at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap(String assemblyName, String typeName)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.CreateSnapIn(String assemblyName, String typeName)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ClassLibraryServices.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IClassLibraryServices.CreateSnapIn(String assemblyName, String typeName)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInInitializationOperation.OnStart()
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RunningOperationsTable.EnqueueOperation(Operation operation)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.StandAloneComponentData..ctor(SnapInRegistrationInfo info, Int32 bookkeepingId)
   at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.FrameworkSnapInFactory.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.ISnapInFactory.CreateSnapIn(Int32 bookkeepingId, String snapInKey, Object& snapIn)

We though it maybe the CU7 iso we downloaded was corrupted so we downloaded the CU6 and repeated the upgrade process by using a pervious snapshot state of CU3 (before the CU7 upgrade). However, the same message was displayed when Studio was launched.

We tried uncheck the option "Check for publisher’s certificate revocation" as described in CTX139325 and also updated the root certificated as described in CTX233206, but neither of them works.

OS is 08R2 and had performed all windows updates last week online (not from WSUS), any idea what I'm missing, grateful for any tips or hints.

Many thanks!

Hi,

Are you able to run studio from another machine with a different OS? 

Haven´t tested it on 2008R2. 

2 hours ago, Markus Lundberg1709157352 said:

Hi,

Are you able to run studio from another machine with a different OS? 

Haven´t tested it on 2008R2. 

Hi Markus,

We were given instructions to upgrade to CU7 from our existing production CU3 base which is a 08R2, therfore we are not in the position to implement it on another OS.

Thanks! 

On 3/2/2021 at 4:50 PM, Grant Lui said:

Hi Markus,

We were given instructions to upgrade to CU7 from our existing production CU3 base which is a 08R2, therfore we are not in the position to implement it on another OS.

Thanks! 

Hi, sorry for late respons, didn´t receive an notification about the answer. 

I´m not sure if i follow you here, my point was that you could try to run studio on another machine with a different OS, as Citrix studio  it´s not part of the infrastructure. So maybe just install it in a laptop or similar. That would maybe indicate if there is a bug related to the OS version.

regards. 

On 3/10/2021 at 1:20 PM, Markus Lundberg1709157352 said:

Hi, sorry for late respons, didn´t receive an notification about the answer. 

I´m not sure if i follow you here, my point was that you could try to run studio on another machine with a different OS, as Citrix studio  it´s not part of the infrastructure. So maybe just install it in a laptop or similar. That would maybe indicate if there is a bug related to the OS version.

regards. 

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your message, I'm guessing more than likely CU7 Citrix Studio will definately run on recent release of server OS (i.e. 2012 and 2016) out from the box without any tweaks.

Based on Citrix's documentation (7.15 LTSR System requirements), all components of 7.15 LTSR still works on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter Editions 

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenapp-and-xendesktop/7-15-ltsr/system-requirements.html

We repeated the upgrade process again (this time, using the CU4 ISO) by using a pervious snapshot state of CU3 . However, the same message from CU6 and CU7 was displayed when Studio was launched.

It appears from CU4 onwards, something has changed with Studio snap-in. If you remember, previous XenApp/Desktop versions's Studio had very similar issues related to "Check for publisher’s certificate revocation" as described in CTX139325 and "root certificates" as described in CTX233206.

I have a feeling the current issue that I'm facing is similar in their nature (i.e. scripts from PowerShell can't be signed with correct certificates), perhaps a simple tweak would resolve it, it is just a matter that I cannot be 100% sure and do not have enough information.

Thanks!