Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows 10 Logon Time

Siva Mulpuru

Question

Hi Community, 

With all the optimization tools, profile management products and various provisioning methods out in enterprise, curious on your shortest windows login time and your journey on how you got there. 

VMware claims their Optimization tool on Windows 10 1909  Enterprise gets the login time to 9.5 Seconds, in reality  with all the optimizations the best we were able to get is between 20-30 seconds. 

Could you share your experiences please? 

7 answers to this question

I've never seen logins that quick.   To be honest, with the amount of GPOs that large enterprises always seem to have, plus network printers and drives being attached, environment management tools checking group memberships and hiding/enabling shortcuts to apps etc, local devices being mapped through, I think 30 seconds is pretty good going.   I think the really quick login times are only possible with a very slimline image and almost nothing in the way of customization going on at login.

I let my users keep disconnected sessions for 18 hours, so mostly they only actually log in once a week.  In which case, does an extra 30 seconds really matter that much?

• Like 1
On 2/19/2021 at 12:53 AM, James Kindon said:

James Rankin has a great write up discussing every form of optimisation there is and their results -  have a read of his posts, they are very good 

Thanks James, Agree James Rankin has many good articles on reducing the login time, been following his work, but even his demo's and writeups doing mention <10 seconds login time. 

I'm curious if any community member got the login time to less than 10 seconds for windows 10. 

On 2/19/2021 at 5:53 AM, James Kindon said:

James Rankin has a great write up discussing every form of optimisation there is and their results -  have a read of his posts, they are very good 

Greteful if you can share the link of the said article, thanks!

On 2/23/2021 at 8:31 PM, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

I've never seen logins that quick.   To be honest, with the amount of GPOs that large enterprises always seem to have, plus network printers and drives being attached, environment management tools checking group memberships and hiding/enabling shortcuts to apps etc, local devices being mapped through, I think 30 seconds is pretty good going.   I think the really quick login times are only possible with a very slimline image and almost nothing in the way of customization going on at login.

I let my users keep disconnected sessions for 18 hours, so mostly they only actually log in once a week.  In which case, does an extra 30 seconds really matter that much?

I agree with Michael, with domain wide GPOs that lockdown what end users can / cannot do at endpoints as well as other folders redirections or customs start menus, long login time is something that cannot be avoided.

Our organisation has over hudreds of settings which consist of default user policy and other .admx plus another hundreds of custom registry which are not covered by available .admx, we estimate these would be thousands if acculumate alltogether.

Our average duration shown in Citrix Director in loading the GPOs is around 21 seconds.

Duration.thumb.jpeg.15eba30b011cc256c9e6a9e261649612.jpeg

I think the only way to achieve super fast logins would be not enforcing any GPOs, customisation or no roaming / mandatory profiles at all.

Happy to know if there are new techniques in achieving fast logins.