Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Netscaler changes after replacing the existing switch

Hi Folks,

We are using the Citrix netscaler as a L3 device in our setup and the device is placed in DMZ  running with our Citrix gateway and other loadbalancing services. We have the requirement to replace our existing switching device which is connected to the netscaler.

Would you please let me know what changes needs to be made from the netscaler end as part of he switch device replacement.

18 hours ago, Anandh Chandrabose1709162404 said:

Hi Folks,

We are using the Citrix netscaler as a L3 device in our setup and the device is placed in DMZ  running with our Citrix gateway and other loadbalancing services. We have the requirement to replace our existing switching device which is connected to the netscaler.

Would you please let me know what changes needs to be made from the netscaler end as part of he switch device replacement.

Some more info please...

Is the L3 device routing the NetScaler traffic and the change of the device also changes any IP addresses or whatever?

Maybe the gateway address used by the NetScaler in any static/pbr routing?

Yes, the device is the L3 and it is routing the traffic for the Citrix Netscaler. There won't be any changes in IP addresses. The gateway address used by the Netscaler is static.

Our Netscaler is in high availability and it would be great if you can help me to get the details to reduce the downtime.

3 hours ago, Anandh Chandrabose1709162404 said:

Yes, the device is the L3 and it is routing the traffic for the Citrix Netscaler. There won't be any changes in IP addresses. The gateway address used by the Netscaler is static.

Our Netscaler is in high availability and it would be great if you can help me to get the details to reduce the downtime.

are both netscalers connected to the same switch which will be replaced?

The existing switches are in high availability and the Netscalers are connected to that. For example, Netscaler-A connected to Switch-A and Netscaler-B connected to Switch-B.

Presently the Netscaler to switch connectivity is over the 1 G interface. In future we will make the connectivity over 10G port.

The existing switches are in two different racks. We are planning to power off the switch-B in rack-B  and replace it with the new switch-X and the Netscaler-B should be able to connect the new switch-X using the 10G port. During this time all the Citrix user connections will continue to work with the Netscaler-A which is primary.

Once the Netscaler-B is ready then we power off the  Switch-A where primary Netscaler is connected and will replace the old switch-A with new Switch-Y. During this activity Netscaler fail over will happen and the Netscaler-B will become as primary.  

Now we will connect the Netscaler-A  to connect the new switch-Y using the 10G port. We will perform the Netscaler fail over and will test the user connections.

Please let me know if any changes required on the above plan.