Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Real world bandwidth requirements

T.Z. Steenvoorden

Question

I am currently looking for some real world bandwidth requirements for Citrix XenDesktop, but I am finding some conflicting information. Some examples:

The following document Dell VDI Validation Guide states an average network usage per user of 1.8 Mbps using Login VSI workload Power Worker and XenDesktop 1912 and Windows 10

The following blog post Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops Bandwidth from Daniel Feller states an average network usage per user of 166 Kbps using Login VSI workload Power Worker and XenDesktop 1912 and Windows 10

These values are very different from each other. Can anyone provide insight into actual bandwidth usage of a XenDesktop session for Power Worker of Office Worker profiles?

1 answer to this question

Hi!

It highly depends on the use case. There is no right or wrong answer. What are you trying to figure out? Often a simple test will help you a lot.

But, let me say something. Daniel Feller is a lead architect at Citrix. He knows what he does. 

Another thing: I didn't know the Dell VDI Guide but I took a look into it. It says about the network calculation the following thing: "Average network usage on all hosts calculated over the steady state period divided by the number of users.". That seems wrong to me - because you want to measure the network bandwidth between server and endpoint over ICA/HDX protocol. Those are different things. (If I understand the Dell VDI Guide correctly). 

I hope I help some way. 

Regards, 
Patrick