Welcome to our new Citrix community!

json repair file not running do to permission issues

HappyBandito

Question

Hi All,

Running ELM 20.11.0.1004

We are having an issue using the App Layer Repair feature, copying the json file (this is a manual copy) into the users VHD folder.  It seems the file will not get the users permissions associated to the folder, so when the user logs into their virtual desktop, the json file will not run because the user doesn’t have access to it.

Our work around for the moment is when we copy the file, we add the user explicitly to the file and everything works.

So it seems somewhere along the way (we did do some share changes\migrations) something changed.  So I would like to compare my folder permissions with someone’s that is working.

Here is what mine looks like (at the top of the user layer storage location) default location:

Users – creator owner – full control – subfolders and files only

Owner Rights – Modify – Subfolders and files only

Users – read & Execute – This folder only

Next

Users folder – username -  Modify – This Folder Only

Creator Owner – Modify – Subfolders and files only

Owner Rights – Modify – This folder, Subfolders and files

System – Full Control - This folder, Subfolders and files

Next

Win10x64 - username -  Modify – This Folder Only

Creator Owner – Modify – Subfolders and files only

Owner Rights – Modify – This folder, Subfolders and files

System – Full Control - This folder, Subfolders and files

Next

VHD file - username -  Modify

Owner Rights – Modify

System – Full Control

All the permissions are being inherited from \\ELMShare\Citrix\Applayer\Users.

I hope this makes sense and I sure that something changed on the permissions side of things.

TIA

4 answers to this question

Hi,

Thanks for that.  The issue I have is this utility was created to address doing large deployments of repairs and it wasn't released with the initial user layer repair feature.  So how did Citrix expect the files to work on a one user repair level?

Also, this use to work for us until the shares were moved, so that leads me to believe that what I am seeing now isn't normal.

My guess is that your permissions are being granted through the owner.  Users are the owner of the user layer files but when you copy the repair files you are the owner.  so you need to provide permissions using some group ACL which can be problematic because you dont want other user sot have access or you could change the owner of the repair file to the user.