Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Move a complete farm to newer OS... how?

Baumgartner AG

Question

So I was reading the product documentations today, recognizing that citrix does not support Server 2012 R2 anymore from virtual Apps/Desktops version 2003 up to the latest release (2012). Last release that supports server 2012 R2 is 1912 LTSR, which we are running currently. 

So I had a call with citrix, how the migration process should work. They don't even support different OS in a Storefront cluster, so I can forget to do it the easy way. I have also read that Storefront has a UID which is used by all Citrix workspace apps for connection and identification, so exporting and importing seems not to be that easy.

How is one supposed to migrate a complete farm to a newer OS? 

My current enviroment:

1x Server 2012 R2 running Storefront 1912LTSR, Citrix Licensing 11.16 and holder of SQL Citrix Databases

2x Server 2012 R2 running Citrix Controllers 1912LTSR

2x Server 2012 R2 running PVS Servers 1912LTSR

1x Server 2012 R2 holder of vDisk store (I don't think this is relevant for the farm)

VDAs are running Server 2016 with VDA 1912LTSR, and Windows 10 VDA 2009.

Also 1x ADC VPX Gateway Version NS13.0 is running with this farm for external connections.

Maybe someone has advices and/or experiences to share.

Thanks in advance

5 answers to this question

Build a new StoreFront Server Group.

To avoid Workspace app breaking:

• Base URL must be identical.
  • Match the Delivery Controller names under “Manage Delivery Controllers”
  • Match the SRID - The SRID can be safely edited in the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\Roaming\web.config file

Then do a cutover (i.e. replace on load balancer).

15 hours ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Build a new StoreFront Server Group.

To avoid Workspace app breaking:

• Base URL must be identical.
  • Match the Delivery Controller names under “Manage Delivery Controllers”
  • Match the SRID - The SRID can be safely edited in the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\Roaming\web.config file

Then do a cutover (i.e. replace on load balancer).

Hi Carl

Thank you very much for your answer.

since the internal URL contains the fqdn of the storefront server name, this will be a bit difficult. Is it possible to install the new server 2019 with a different name and IP, then in maintenance time shut down the original storefront, and change the name and IP of the new storefront to those from the original one?

Also I hope there are no issues migrating the storefront first to server 2016, while controllers and PVS stay on server 2012 r2 fore some time until I can replace them with server 2019?

Thanks in advance.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:57 AM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

On cutover, shutdown the old server. Then change the DNS record of the old server to point to your new load balancer (or new server). Everything else (e.g. Base URL) needs to match the old server.

StoreFront is completely separate from everything else.

Hi Carl

Another question came to my mind: I know it is not possible to run multiple storefronts with different OS. But is it possible to run multiple Controllers with different OS (for example: 2x controller with Server 2012 R2 and 2x Controller with Server 2016)?  Also the same question is for PVS servers. I am running two PVS Servers with Server 2012 R2, and thought about adding two more PVS Servers with server 2016; then remove the server 2012 R2 ones.

Thanks in advance for your help