Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Is an internal Microsoft certificate authority is a must?

Golan Nave1709152881

Question

Good morning all,

I am currently doing some internal testing to lavage Citrix ADC with Azure multi-factor authentication.

I have managed to config the ADC with Azure as the SAMLid and can log in to storefront and lunch a Desktop/App. The issue is a am seeing a windows domain login after the app/desktop launched. 

My understanding is that the only way to resolve this is deploy FAS to tie in the SAML and internal authentication.

In all the Citrix documentation, I see that an internal Microsoft CA is a must for this solution to work.

Over the years, I tried to avoid deploying an internal CA for apparent reason. 

The question now, is an internal CA is a must for FAS to work? Is there a different way to leverage Azure MFA with Citrix ADC?

Any issue pitfalls I should be aware of? 

Stay Safe.

2 answers to this question

Citrix FAS programmatically uses the Enterprise CA to generate smart card certificates for each user that logs in. The Domain Controllers trust the certificates generated by the Enterprise CA. I don't think FAS can use any other type of CA. https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/federated-authentication-service/config-manage/ca-configuration.html

When installing Microsoft CA, you can remove all Certificate Templates except the ones that FAS requires. Just make sure the Domain Controllers also have certificates.

• Like 1