Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Process Monitoring

Eric Siemiatkaska

Question

I have been asked to enable process monitoring for one of my catalogs and can't seem to get it to work. To enable it I went into the group policy editor and set the "Enable Process Monitoring" policy to allowed, but when I go to the "Historical Utilization" screen for any of my VMs the "Top 10 Processes" section just states that "Process data collection is disabled on this machine. Enable process monitoring policy to start collection."

image.thumb.png.ae6bb78ed44df749fd26b91d700a80af.png

image.thumb.png.4c053ef3beca3bed8a3347614daec0bd.png

These are Windows 10 v1909 operating systems running VDA 1912 CU2. Am I missing something here? Is there something else I need to install on the master image, or some other setting besides the group policy that I am missing here? I attached a screen shot of the machine details from Citrix Director in case that helps.

image.thumb.png.c3289034b36b27caa32f8babd4b6c169.png

10 answers to this question

I'm not sure what to look for in the  C:\ProgramData\Citrix\GroupPolicy folder but there is a Rollback.gpf file in there and in a subfolder name '1'.

image.thumb.png.ffd1b45fae8b41b5d77bba968b7c9645.png

As for the registry I do see a DWORD entry named EnableProcessMonitoring with a value of 1 in 2 locations.

image.thumb.png.259c746b5a1eddc1831d376045cea224.png

image.thumb.png.48c9c859e78be16a9406e2d051b4cfa7.png

Based on the name of that registry entry it appears that the group policy is getting applied. Is there something I was supposed to install with the VDA that handles this? Is there some setting on the Catalog that I missed? I know this works for other catalogs just not this one for some reason.

Could it be related to this Known Issue from https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/whats-new/known-issues.html

When you view historical utilization on the Machine Details page for VDA versions 2003 and 2006, the following error message appears (even after you set Enable process monitoring to Allowed in Citrix Studio).

Process data collection is disabled on this machine. Enable process monitoring policy to start collection.

As a workaround, set the value of HKLM\Software\Citrix\GroupPolicy\SaveRsopToFile to 1 to view the policy monitoring data in Citrix Director. [DIR-11794]

Director 2009 had this issue. It is reported to have been fixed in 2012.

On the Historic Machine Utilization page, data in the Top 10 Processes table might not be displayed. This message appears:

Process data collection is disabled on this machine. Enable process monitoring policy to start collection.

[CVADHELP-15893]