Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Xenapp 715 - Storage showing multiple baseDisk Datastore folders

Jeff Koelker1709162466

Question

Good Morning -

I'm in the testing phase of our new 715 environment and looking to ensure I know what everything is. I was looking through my Datastore that my servers reside on this morning and am seeing 3 machine catalog-baseDisk-Datastore folders. Each contains the same provisioned size VDMK of my machine catalog. All of them are from different dates and as they increment, their size of the vmdk does a little too. I don't have any snapshots on my server that the machine catalog is built off of. Am I able to delete 1 or all of these folders? What are they used for? It's almost as if I did an update to the machine catalog but it didn't complete and delete the folders. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

5 answers to this question

In Studio, double-click your Catalog to see the machines. Click Select Columns. Scroll down to the Hosting section and select Pending Update. Do any of the machines have a Pending Update? If so, use Studio to reboot them or start them.

In PowerShell, run the following:

asnp citrix.*

get-provtask -active $true

What do you see? DDC should be deleting unused basedisks after several hours.

33 minutes ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

In Studio, double-click your Catalog to see the machines. Click Select Columns. Scroll down to the Hosting section and select Pending Update. Do any of the machines have a Pending Update? If so, use Studio to reboot them or start them.

In PowerShell, run the following:

asnp citrix.*

get-provtask -active $true

What do you see? DDC should be deleting unused basedisks after several hours.

Thanks for the reply Carl. I looked in Studio and there aren't any pending updates for any of my VDA's. I also ran the above powershell command on my delivery controller and I'm not getting any results. Should I delete them manually at this point from the datastore? Thanks.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:11 AM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Another option is to text edit the small .vmdk files in each VDA machine's datastore folder and make sure none of them have their parent set to the basedisk. If the basedisk is not being used then you can delete it.

Carl -

Thanks for posting this information. In the end I took what you said and then found the following citrix article which provided me the information I needed to delete the unused base disks. Thanks again for the help.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX229025