Welcome to our new Citrix community!

NSC_ESNS cookie set by AppFlow policy

Philipp Bieber

Hi all,

we have recently looked into the capabilities of ADM and have enabled the AppFlow policies as suggested by ADM. This is working as expected, except that a new cookie is set by the policy. The cookie is called NSC_ESNS and has a lifetime of 15 seconds which triggers a bug in a client software we are using. 

This is the action that triggers the cookie to be set as it was generated by ADM: 

image.thumb.png.ae88fc04003dc8c6df25347f952d12a4.png

Is there a way to either prevent the cookie from being set or at least give it a sensible lifetime? In the "hover help", a "NS_ESNS" cookie is mentioned for the Page Tracking feature, which we are not using anyway.

For now, I have removed the AppFlow policy on the problematic vServer and at least this problem is solved, but I'd like to understand this and preferably not have this cookie set at all.

In case it is relevant to this, the ADC in question is running version NS12.0: Build 63.13.n (I know it old and needs to be updated, but I did not see anything too obvious in the release notes for 12.0).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best Regards,

Philipp 

Carl's answer.  :)

Just an explanation for you:

the NSC_ESNS cookie is basically what used to be called "EdgeSight for NetScaler" which is the client-side metrics gathered for Web Insight. It allows the ADC to instruct the client browser to report its metrics to the ADC for client-side performance gathering, in addition to the metrics the ADC can see on its side of the transaction. Since you can create different appflow policies for different applications, you can disable this for appflow policy on one vserver whill still gathering the data on other vservers.  the Web Insight will still generate server/ADC performance metrics (such as timings determined by the request arriving at the ADC and then the server-side processing times. You'll just miss the client's side details for total page load times from the time the client send the request (client-out) to final response return and some of the client latency measurements.

• Like 1