Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Access to a Storage Repository from type ext outside the xenserver environment

Melanie Bruhns

Question

Dear all,

I have had a xenserver 7.5 with storage repositories from type ext. As my vm is very large I created the backup of that machine to the storage repository from type ext (as you can access to that hard disk with console of xenserver). Yesterday the hard disk where the xenserver starts crashed. No boot of the xenserver. 

Is there any possibility to access to the data of the hard disks from other storage repositories ?

I would be very happy, if someone has an idea !

Thanks and best regards

Melanie

15 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

If the XenServer OS disk was a different physical drive that the repository drives, just replace the physical drive and reinstall XenServer.

You should the be able to introduce the existing SR on those other physcial drivers to access it. 

--Alan--

Yes the XenServer OS was a different physical drive. In that way I thought as well. Do I have to install xenserver os with connected hard disks from repository ?! Or can I recognize the repository after installation as well. Do you know it ? I think first I will do a complete image of the disks of repository. But it will take a while as that are 8TB disks. But just to be sure.

I see, it looks like you have a totally separate, external VM. Make sure if it's an external drive to preserve all the metadata on that external SR before you do a re-install on the server so you can pick up all the VMs from it with the new XS install and preserve all the associated VM information. Yes, you can then recognize that external SR by reattaching it.  Since your current server is apparently dead, you cannot firsst detach it from the existing XS host but you should be able to pick it up with the new install.

-=Tobias

2 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

I assume that second SR was a RAID of 8TB disks. I would replace the OS drive and reinstall XenServer. You just have to make sure during the install you choose the correct drive to install your OS on and not touch the RAID disks. 

--Alan--

I don't like RAID... during my first time after my education I have had 4 cases where RAID was damaged and no recovery was possible. Thats why I work just with SR. Often I make a snapshot of vm and then make an export of that - so I don't need to shutdown the vm. And as the SR is from type ext, I could export the vm to that SR. But at present, I have no access... Normally I store also in network (after export), but the image of the vm is too large and the copies of the image haven't had same md5checksum. So that's why I unfortunately have my backups on that SR...

So as I mentionned I create a full image of the 8TB hard disk, in order that I can test it first with the image. I'm not quite sure, which steps are necessary exactely: So I install xenserver on another hard disk. After that, I connect my image of the old SR. And then a try to scan sr ? "xe sr-scan" - Or maybe pbd as well ?! Or should I do it with the original SR ? Because of the pbd ?

I hope I could do these steps with the image...

Thanks and best regards

Melanie

18 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

This should help you probe and attach the SR to your host(s): https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX220536

Does anybody know, how is the right order, in my case ?

Now I have a new install with xenserver and attached a copy of the 2TB SSD (as there is normally the vm, and the other copies aren't finished at present).

If I look with fdisk -l, I get for this hdd only

Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

For the other commands of the article I need uuid or something like this - but I don't have these information. Therefore I just try

[root@xenserver-test-arbeit ~]# xe sr-probe type=ext
Error code: SR_BACKEND_FAILURE_90
Error parameters: , The request is missing the device parameter,

But how could I get the missing parameter... Or other commands first ? 

Does anybody know how I could get such information ? Or do I have to know the old ids ?

And does anybody maybe know what is the first thing to do...

Thanks and best regards

Melanie

7 minutes ago, Melanie Bruhns said:

Does anybody know, how is the right order, in my case ?

Now I have a new install with xenserver and attached a copy of the 2TB SSD (as there is normally the vm, and the other copies aren't finished at present).

If I look with fdisk -l, I get for this hdd only

Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

For the other commands of the article I need uuid or something like this - but I don't have these information. Therefore I just try

[root@xenserver-test-arbeit ~]# xe sr-probe type=ext
Error code: SR_BACKEND_FAILURE_90
Error parameters: , The request is missing the device parameter,

But how could I get the missing parameter... Or other commands first ? 

Does anybody know how I could get such information ? Or do I have to know the old ids ?

And does anybody maybe know what is the first thing to do...

Thanks and best regards

Melanie

OK - I just tried

pvscan

and I get already some IDs. I try again - but if someone know more - please let me know.

Thanks and best regards

melanie

13 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

You can also run "vgchange -ay" to see if that helps activate the LVM volume group. It's a harmless command, hence totally safe to try.

You can also look for various associated device links under the various /dev/disk/ ... subdirectories.

-=Tobias

I did the steps in this article https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX136342 in order to introduce an old storage repository. And it seems to work. I have the SR in my Xen Installation. the vdi has no name in gui, but that s not important for me. I hope / I think... with this data I can reorganize my vm.

Thanks and best regards

Melanie

28 minutes ago, Melanie Bruhns said:

I did the steps in this article https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX136342 in order to introduce an old storage repository. And it seems to work. I have the SR in my Xen Installation. the vdi has no name in gui, but that s not important for me. I hope / I think... with this data I can reorganize my vm.

Thanks and best regards

Melanie

Good news! You can readily rename the SR -- use something like this:

xe sr-param-set uuid=(UUID-of-SR) name-description="New-name-of-SR"

-=Tobias