Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Smartcard reader dissapears when twain hook registry key added

Ibon Arretxe

Question

Hi all,

I'm experiencing such a strange issue with smartcard reader and twain hook. The thing is that I have some virtual desktops (VDA 1912cu2, win10) with smartcard readers and everything works ok, smartcards are detected, they can identify with the smartcard certificate on some webpages, etc.

The problem comes because we want to implement a new feature related with image scanning, and for that we use canon scangear software. The thing is that if I don't add a registry key (as noted here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127469), the canon scangear doesn't work, once added it works ok. The thing is that if I add that registry key, the smartcard reader is not detected. Has anyone experienced any similar issue?? 

I have already opened a support case, but just in case...

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Ibon

2 answers to this question

On 12/11/2020 at 3:07 PM, Ibon Arretxe said:

Hi all,

I'm experiencing such a strange issue with smartcard reader and twain hook. The thing is that I have some virtual desktops (VDA 1912cu2, win10) with smartcard readers and everything works ok, smartcards are detected, they can identify with the smartcard certificate on some webpages, etc.

The problem comes because we want to implement a new feature related with image scanning, and for that we use canon scangear software. The thing is that if I don't add a registry key (as noted here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127469), the canon scangear doesn't work, once added it works ok. The thing is that if I add that registry key, the smartcard reader is not detected. Has anyone experienced any similar issue?? 

I have already opened a support case, but just in case...

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Ibon

Make Sure the Correct Path are added to Respective location, I recently had issue with Smart Card Reader  found out that Citrix Changed Respective files location

So Program files(x86) folder have different files that the c:\program files , this seemed to happened starting newer Releases 

So Example

I was following this article to Disable Smart Card readers :

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX231743 you can see that both 32 and 64 are pointing to C:\Program files and it was working till a point that 32 bit files moved to C:\program files (x86)

So Twain hook should be as attached 

Twain.png

Also note that Twain Hook should be only under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\citrix\CtxHook\AppInit_DLLs\Twain Hook 

Because it is a 32 bit DLL and not under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\CtxHook\AppInit_DLLs because there is no 64 bit for it.

Thanks mnashed67 for answering, but the issue wasn't that.

Just for info, finally I've got the problem solved.

First of the mistakes:

I was doing the registry changes with microsoft GPOs and doing in this way, CTXuvi is disabled, that's why the smartcard software wasn't working.

The thing was that the twain redirection was working in that way.

So the solution was adding the dynamsoft web twain plugin processes in the UviProcessExcludes value.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CtxUvi

REG_SZ-->in this value UviProcessExludes, I appended the following dynamsoftservi;dsscn.exe

Since I was using Citrix applayering to create the golden images, I added the registry changes in the platform layer.

Doing that, everything works ok.

Regards,

Ibon