Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Root Disk Multipathing missing in XenCenter for 7.1 hosts

Ken Donaberger1709160041

Question

We have XenServer 7.1 CU2 hosts that are missing the Root Disk Multipathing section in XenCenter entirely. We have other hosts that have this section and function properly when paths drop. We use Boot from SAN for the OS, the ones that are missing the Root Disk Multipathing section are crashing when paths drop. I didn't know if anyone knew off the top of their heads what would cause this section to not show up. I should note that all paths map correctly after booting for the shared groups. They also map correctly during POST. Our Multipath conf file is configured exactly the same as the working hosts, and the working and non-working hosts all build from the exact same automated process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

17 answers to this question

I should say that we have multipathing enabled on each host in the non-working pools, also, the non-working hosts are a gen older, M4's vs M5s (working).  The non-working are on separate SAN clusters but for all intents and purposes, they're configured roughly the same.  We already checked with Cisco and Cisco see's the paths load up in the BIOS successfully, so the hardware difference is null I believe.  Maybe there's a setting we're missing somewhere on the SAN clusters?  We're using Fibre Channel and not iSCSI.

Tobias,

M4's (non-working) are on a much higher firmware version (4.0.4) than the M5's (working) which are on 3.1.2.  When we first noticed the issue, the firmware was matching across M4s/M5s at 3.1.2.

Mark,

When I check the NIC hardware on both our M4s and M5s, they match with Cisco UCS VIC 1340 (Model) when viewed under Inventory -> NICs -> Model

24 minutes ago, Ken Donaberger1709160041 said:

Tobias,

We had a support call with Cisco and they watched the FC paths all connect correctly during the BIOS, we even disabled one HBA, booted fine, did the other side, booted fine.

Only other thing that comes to mind at present is perhaps a driver issue, unique to those servers.

Citrix support is basically useless with this.  They're telling us to install from scratch and enable multipath during install.  Our automated process already does this and it works on our other set of hosts.  There's really no set of documentation out there that helps either.  I feel like this should be pretty cut and dry.  Also, if this were a driver issue then the brand new hosts that we setup manually would work, but don't.  We're going to attempt to rip an old out out and disable the automated install process, install manually and following the limited documentation they have for root disk multipathing.

So, stupid me I think we found the issue. So while the automated installation process is the same for both environments...the pxe tftpboot files differ. I checked them, and what do you know, the side that doesn’t work doesn’t have the device_mapper multipath line in it. It’s the ONE place we didn’t think to check. I’ll update this thread once we reinstall a host to see if this is it. I’m almost 99% sure it is. Thanks for everyone’s help.