Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Making user chosen file association stick

Sandy Williams

Question

Wondering if anyone else has this problem

XenApp 7.15 CU5. UPM profile and Windows Roaming profiles both behaving the same. Have WEM 2009 on Server 2016. User makes a change to their file association, selecting to always use this program using 'open with'. User logs out, starts new session and their change is lost.  The change is stored in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications  and I see the data on the next session go missing. 

I have a test environment with 1912 CU2 with WEM 2009 on Server 2016. Strangely enough I have no problems here.

3 answers to this question

Hi,

User based file type association (FTA) extension settings are stored here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

In the  file extension key mathing the file type where the user is doing manual changes, you should be able to see a subkey called UserChoice:

image.thumb.png.1f6799362d6a85f3fc198cd498f0fc4c.png

In this key you'll find a Hash value. This hash value is created whenever the user is doing a manual file type association.

This part of the user's registry has to be configured to roam, it should be default, but I have seen a few setups where various exclusions if registry keys have been configured.

So I don't believe any other change was made. I upgraded 7.15 CU5 to 1912.2 and the problem has gone away.

As a workaround I was running a logoff script: reg.exe export HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications %APPDATA%\Applications.reg /y   and then do an import upon logon.

In WEM I have 'Enable Default Exclusion List' checked and there are minimal exclusions probably put there by default (not the key you mentioned @Kasper)