Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix UPM: MS Teams Directory and Files Exclusion

Suman Saurabh1709162050

Question

Hello Community,

I have one doubt and thought to ask in this forum with hope that someone will definitely answer or at least will provide guidance.

Citrix recommend to exclude certain directory from UPM like listed below from %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams and some third party article suggest to exclude it from appdata\roaming\Microsoft\Teams.

I know in general both are the same but in my environment folder redirection is set for AppData\Roaming and its on shared network path.

Now my question is while setting up exclusion which one to prefer : %appData%\Microsoft\Teams or appdata\roaming\Microsoft\Teams ?

from VDI :

1. When I use appdata then it opens C:\Users\UserID\AppData

2. When I use %appdata% then it opens \\ProfileStore\MicrosoftFolderRedirection\UserID\AppData\Roaming

Exclusion list – directories
Roaming\Microsoft\Teams*.txt
Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\media-stack
Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage
Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Logs
Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache
Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache
Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\GPUCache
Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\meeting-addin\Cache (Critical for issues where the Add-in is missing in Outlook)

5 answers to this question

No. When UPM backs up files at logoff and restores them at logon, that process takes time. Exclusions reduce the amount of data that is backed up and restored and thus takes less time. 

However, you are doing redirection, which means there is no backup or restore process so there's no benefit to excluding other than disk space.

• Like 1

If you are redirecting AppData, then there's nothing to exclude. 

Redirection moves the AppData folder out of profile, which means that UPM no longer saves the AppData folder at logoff or restores it at logon.

With redirected AppData, you'll probably have to write a script to periodically delete the folders that you don't want to save.

On 12/4/2020 at 10:48 PM, Suman Saurabh1709162050 said:

Is there any impact of this specially for MS Teams ?

On 12/5/2020 at 1:07 AM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

No. When UPM backs up files at logoff and restores them at logon, that process takes time. Exclusions reduce the amount of data that is backed up and restored and thus takes less time. 

However, you are doing redirection, which means there is no backup or restore process so there's no benefit to excluding other than disk space.

Thank you :)