Audio quality when screen sharing from Linux endpoint

Mike_B

Question

I have an issue with Linux-based thin clients, in that when in a Teams meeting and with HDX Optimization in place, the audio quality goes very choppy when sharing the desktop.

It's been happening a while, across all versions of Wyse ThinOS 9.0 (since the version supporting HDX Optimization was released) and also includes the beta release of 9.1 that I have.  It's happening with Workspace for Linux 2006 and 2010, and after testing earlier I've found that it's also happening to a different terminal I have from a manufacturer called 10Zig.

If I make a peer-to-peer call, then audio withscreensharing is fine.   As soon as I join a multi-person meeting, and then share the screen, then a few seconds later everyone else on the call says my audio has gone very choppy and 'robot-voice'.

Anyone else seen anything like this and have any tips to fix?   I'm working with Dell engineering now and they are mystified at the moment, but agree that the issue is definitely present as I've demoed it to them.

2 answers to this question

On 12/1/2020 at 10:54 AM, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

I have an issue with Linux-based thin clients, in that when in a Teams meeting and with HDX Optimization in place, the audio quality goes very choppy when sharing the desktop.

It's been happening a while, across all versions of Wyse ThinOS 9.0 (since the version supporting HDX Optimization was released) and also includes the beta release of 9.1 that I have.  It's happening with Workspace for Linux 2006 and 2010, and after testing earlier I've found that it's also happening to a different terminal I have from a manufacturer called 10Zig.

If I make a peer-to-peer call, then audio with screensharing is fine.   As soon as I join a multi-person meeting, and then share the screen, then a few seconds later everyone else on the call says my audio has gone very chop py and 'robot-voice'.

Anyone else seen anything like this and have any tips to fix?   I'm working with Dell engineering now and they are mystified at the moment, but agree that the issue is definitely present as I've demoed it to them.

I've seen some strange scenarios like this - when you join a meeting, we are using a Teams transport relay or conference server. The connection to that server might be using TCP and not UDP (preferred), and even with TCP there are some TLS fragmentation problems that would make your audio robotic.

Can you repro with a Windows machine?

No, this seems exclusive to the Linux-based endpoints.   I have been testing on a Wyse which is booted from an Ubuntu USB stick, and which is running CWA 2010, and the issue is reproduced there as well.   I have been able to extract some verbose logs (webrpc and webrtc) and submitted those to Dell, which they are using to raise a ticket with Citrix.

Let's see what comes out of that ticket.