Migrating from Office 2016 (KMS) to Office 365 (SCA)

Nick Panaccio

Question

We are finally just around the corner from completing our O365 migration, and with that I need to replace Office 2016 (x86) in my XenDesktop image (1912 LTSR, W10 1909) with O365 (x64) and Shared Computer Activation enabled. I installed O365 in a new App layer, run the optimizer to process O365 licensing, and then finalized the layer. If I login with a brand new profile, activation works fine, and I'm off and running. However, if I login with my current Citrix profile - we're using FSLogix, both Profile and ODFC containers (only the OST in the ODFC container) - the license files never appear in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Licensing, and I am prompted to sign in to Office.

O365.jpg

This was working flawlessly long ago when I was first testing out, but that was many changes ago. If I delete the contents of %localappdata% and log back on, even though everything else is hosed up, O365 activation actually works, so there has to be a file or folder somewhere that I need to target to make this work smoothly. Having the users recreate their profiles isn't going to be an option here.

Any chance somebody else has come across this very issue moving from Office 2016 to 365? Furthermore, is there a good reason why I shouldn't just have everyone start fresh with a clean profile once we make that switch? I don't know if I could even sell that option to management.

3 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Nick, it sounds like you have the office 2016 license pulled into your FSLgix layer which has a higher priority than app layering.  Not sure what has to be removed or reactivated. to make that work. 

I've narrowed it down to the AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy folder. If I delete that, logoff, and log back on, O365 activates just fine. I can't possibly be the first person to want to move users from Office 2016 and KMS to O365 using the same profile, right? Do you guys recommend just starting fresh in this scenario?

Deleting the key file in AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\Microsoft\Crypto\TokenBindingKeys\Keys worked. Just need to automate this with the help of WEM and then I can proceed to test. I'd still like to hear from others who have gone through this migration to see if I'm going to run into more issues.