Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Teams not working with integrated microphone on HP EliteBook 840 G6

Mahesh Bhudia

Question

We have a range of HP EliteBook 840 G6 given to users and when they are using Teams inside Citrix with the inbuilt integrated microphone [specifically: Microphone Array (Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST)] when making calls via Teams people are unable to hear them when they speak. They can hear fine and the webcam passes through as well,' in the Teams settings the microphone is listed as well.

I can also confirm the microphone is working inside Citrix, did a basic voice recorder test via Chrome and they were able to record their voice and hear a playback.

I have tested this with 3 different users who have the same laptop, other models of laptops we have don't seemed to be affected, likewise if they were able to plug in a headset that also works, so it's just limited to that inbuilt microphone.

I have checked the HDX logs and nothing stands out, I will attach them, they are fresh logs that were made when making a call.

Some troubleshooting I have done:

-Workspace app is up to date - uninstalled and reinstalled

-Checked the microphone is working inside and outside Citrix

-Checked with Teams outside Citrix - working

-Updated any microphone drivers - used HP SDM tool nothing appears to update it I believe

-Disabled and re-enabled the microphone

-Microsoft updates

I have tried looking online to see if anyone has any problems with the same laptop/microphone but couldn't find anything, any suggestions?

Many thanks

hdxrtcengine.log webrpc.log

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

23 hours ago, Mahesh Bhudia said:

We have a range of HP EliteBook 840 G6 given to users and when they are using Teams inside Citrix with the inbuilt integrated microphone [specifically: Microphone Array (Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST)] when making calls via Teams people are unable to hear them when they speak. They can hear fine and the webcam passes through as well,' in the Teams settings the microphone is listed as well.

I can also confirm the microphone is working inside Citrix, did a basic voice recorder test via Chrome and they were able to record their voice and hear a playback.

I have tested this with 3 different users who have the same laptop, other models of laptops we have don't seemed to be affected, likewise if they were able to plug in a headset that also works, so it's just limited to that inbuilt microphone.

I have checked the HDX logs and nothing stands out, I will attach them, they are fresh logs that were made when making a call.

Some troubleshooting I have done:

-Workspace app is up to date - uninstalled and reinstalled

-Checked the microphone is working inside and outside Citrix

-Checked with Teams outside Citrix - working

-Updated any microphone drivers - used HP SDM tool nothing appears to update it I believe

-Disabled and re-enabled the microphone

-Microsoft updates

I have tried looking online to see if anyone has any problems with the same laptop/microphone but couldn't find anything, any suggestions?

Many thanks

hdxrtcengine.log 5.26 kB · 4 downloads webrpc.log 15.89 kB · 1 download

One of the most comprehensive troubleshooting I've seen on this forum for a while :) 

There isn't a lot of logging by default around audio devices to be honest: 

Nov 23 10:54:58.52 webrtcapi.RPCStubs Info: -> device id = {0.0.1.00000000}.{3db3ef57-59f1-457b-8ced-ae5db604b013} label = Microphone Array (Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST)) groupId = 2166136261
Nov 23 10:54:58.65 webrtcapi.RPCStubs Info: -> device id = default label = Default groupId = 2166136261

Two things that Id be interested to know: 

- Does Teams for Web work on endpoint with this microphone (I suspect it will) need to test as MTOP is the equivalent of this, not native Teams app. 

- Can you remove the Intel software and driver for the device. Let Windows pick up the generic one. 

- If still not working make a screenshot of this screen

image.thumb.png.3008e77f513b5aa51ef907f4414960df.png

Make sure it's nothing other than "DVD quality" 

Let me know how you get on. 

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the compliment on the troubleshooting!

So with regards to your questions:

On 11/24/2020 at 11:35 AM, Daniel Szomboti said:

- Does Teams for Web work on endpoint with this microphone (I suspect it will) need to test as MTOP is the equivalent of this, not native Teams app. 

It does work just fine using Chrome through Teams for Web

- Can you remove the Intel software and driver for the device. Let Windows pick up the generic one. 

Done this and it automatically picked it up each time, disconnected from Citrix each time and then reconnected when it got installed and fully closed/re-opened Teams each time as well (inside Citrix), also checked outside Citrix and was working both times
The second time I kicked off some Windows updates, again nothing relating to the microphone was on there and restarted the laptop; did the tests again, same sadly

- If still not working make a screenshot of this screen

Said screenshot:

image.thumb.png.64bbef5de1345a21784ef0daf177f197.png

The only difference I see between yours and the one above is the channel.

Let me know if you need any more information/troubleshooting tests happy to provide, thank you for your assistance and prompt response

2 hours ago, Mahesh Bhudia said:

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the compliment on the troubleshooting!

So with regards to your questions:

Let me know if you need any more information/troubleshooting tests happy to provide, thank you for your assistance and prompt response

Interesting, maybe try put it on two channels. But regardless if you have CWA 2010 and VDA 1912+, open a tech case and reference me. 

Daniel 

As of yet no, we are still on 1903 and will be looking to update 20+ sometime soon when everything is stable and hope that will resolve the issue.
We did rebuild our Citrix images with 1903 with new the Teams installed and it looks that hasn't resolved so it does point to the VDA version.

Will update you once we do the update and test

I updated everything last night and still same issue so VDA version, RealTime Connector and Teams version does not solve this issue.

Also the microphone works correctly when doing a Skype meeting (HDX redirected) so it's only in Teams (HDX redirected) meetings the microphone isn't working.

The microphones are working correctly on other clients with Teams (HDX redirected) and if I connect a headset like Jabra Evolve 75 that microphone works correctly so it's not a general issue in the environment or the client but it's specifically that Teams HDX does not work with this microphone. It displays correctly as a device in Teams but no sound goes through.

Also if I in the Citrix session go to Start > Settings > System > Sound, I can see the soundbar "move" when I speak so the citrix session obviously picks up the microphone and inside the Windows session it works. So it's just for the Teams redirection the microphone isn't working.

I have registered case #80183279 which also refers to this thread.

/Marcus

Production environment
Windows Server 2019 Standard, version 1809, build 17763.1518
Citrix VDA 1909.1.0.23058
Citrix HDX RealTime Connector 2.8.0.2235
Teams Machine-Wide Installer 1.3.0.12058
Office 365 Pro Plus 16.0.12527.21330

Test environment
Windows Server 2019 Standard, version 1809, build 17763.1637
Citrix VDA 2012.0.0.28051
Citrix HDX RealTime Connector 2.9.200.2506
Teams Machine-Wide Installer 1.3.0.28779
Office 365 Pro Plus 16.0.12527.21330

Client HP EliteBook X360 1030 G7, Product No: 8VS67AV
Windows 10 Pro, version 20H2, build 19042.685
Citrix Workspace App 2012 - version 20.12.0.39
Citrix HDX RealTime Media Engine 2.9.0.2330
Microsoft Teams (installed but not logged in) 1.3.00.28779
Office 365 Pro Plus 16.0.12527.20482
Audio driver: Microsoft "Intel Smart Sound-technology" (can be other spelling, my text is in Swedish), date 6 dec 2019, version 10.0.19041.1

hdxrtcengine.log webrpc.log

Any updates on your issue? We started experiencing this same issue recently with our newer HP's (850 G6 and 850 G7). Both of these models use the Microphone Array (Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST) too. I found an article https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/407820-ms-teams-not-pulling-through-audio-devices/ that was similar (mic not showing in Teams at all). One poster stated that Teams only supports "Recording Devices: up to 3 channels, 16 bit, frequencies up to 48,000 Hz"  per https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/opt-ms-teams.html#peripherals-in-microsoft-teams . That article is now updated and says "Recording Devices: up to 4 channels, 16 bit, frequencies up to 96,000 Hz". Teams identifies the microphone device and does not say "None".  I wanted to still try scaling back the number of channels for the mic, but its been grayed out and unable to be changed (tried running as admin, unchecking the exclusive access options ect..). On the various other hardware we have tested and had the mic work in Teams, those mics all showed less than 4 channels.

I installed the lasted version of the Teams MSI based installer and this too has made no difference. End user is on the latest version of Citrix Workspace (20.12.1.42) and Realtime Media engine(2.9.100) as of yesterday.

Mic works out of Citrix

Mic works in Citrix (tested with the Dictate feature built in MS Office)

Mic works in Citrix within the Teams web app

User can work from another machine with a different mic and does not have the issue.

Latest HP drivers for the audio devices are installed. Even checked the Intel site for any non-HP updates for the audio devices and there were none.

Production environment 1
Windows Server 2019 Standard, version 1809, build 17763.1577
Citrix VDA 1912.0.2000.2345
Citrix HDX RealTime Connector 2.9.0.2330
Teams Machine-Wide Installer 1.3.0.21759
Office 365 Apps for enterprise 16.0.13328.20292

Production environment 2
Windows Server 2016 Standard, version 1607, build 14393.4046
Teams Machine-Wide Installer 1.3.0.21759

Test environment 1 (Teams Updated)
Windows Server 2019 Standard, version 1809, build 17763.1577
Teams Machine-Wide Installer 1.3.0.28779

Hi all. 

I have tested a HP G6 250 and G7 250 here with CWA 2012 and VDA 2009. 

Maybe someone can ship one of those devices affected in for testing? Don;t worry it will be returned. 

Could be specific to some HP Audio Software. Can you try image it with a blank w10 and don't install any HP software. This is what I have here on these two. 

Daniel 

Hi,

I have an ongoing case #80183279 where I have submitted a lot of log files etc.

@Daniel perhaps you can have a look at that case. We might be able to ship a device if necessary but the model you tested is not the same as mine (HP EliteBook x360 1030 G7) or the thread starter (HP EliteBook 840 G6). The common I can see (and why I found this discussion) was the audio device with the Microphone Array, do you have that device on your HP model you tested on?

Since we are deploying/handing out these about 100+ new laptops right now I am keen on getting this resolved. If sending you a device (as long we get it back) helps and speeds up the process we can probably arrange that.

@Mahesh Bhudia I have tested to upgrade to the latest VDA and that does not solve the issue. You can read my post above where you see info about my test environment doing just that so my guess is that you waste your time upgrading the VDA and those tests. Just a friendly FYI...

Kind regards

Marcus

Had a look at your case, in fact the engineer assigned to it already reached out for advice last week to me. That's when i dug out the G series HP's. 

Now looks like endpoint sees devices fine 

Dec 23 15:30:19.707 webrtcapi.RTCPeerConnection Info: RTCPeerConnection. id = 0 sdp_semantics = 0 type = 3 bundle_policy = 0 rtcp_mux_policy = 1 enable_dtls_srtp = 1
Dec 23 15:30:19.771 webrtcapi.RPCStubs Info: -> device id = {0.0.1.00000000}.{b9bb2e34-5b56-4694-876e-8cc1cfbca20b} label = Mikrofonuppsättning (Intel® Smart Sound-teknik) groupId = 2065236064
Dec 23 15:30:19.774 webrtcapi.RPCStubs Info: -> device id = default label = Default groupId = 2065236064
Dec 23 15:30:19.809 webrtcapi.RPCStubs Info: -> device id = {0.0.0.00000000}.{2f9b4d5e-997d-443b-bcde-9d0c587127a7} label = Högtalare (Realtek(R) Audio) groupId = 4185845396
Dec 23 15:30:19.812 webrtcapi.RPCStubs Info: -> device id = default label = Default groupId = 4185845396
Dec 23 15:30:19.838 webrtcapi.WinDeviceUtils Error: getDeviceInstanceId : CreateDevice failed

Did have time to look at VDA logs now as year start madness. There was an issue in the past where some device were not seen due to non-english characters in name. Sending in a device will definitely resolve the issue as we can test fixes easily against it. 

Do both of you have a non-english OS? 

Daniel 

59 minutes ago, Daniel Szomboti said:

Had a look at your case, in fact the engineer assigned to it already reached out for advice last week to me. That's when i dug out the G series HP's. 

Now looks like endpoint sees devices fine 

Did have time to look at VDA logs now as year start madness. There was an issue in the past where some device were not seen due to non-english characters in name. Sending in a device will definitely resolve the issue as we can test fixes easily against it. 

Do both of you have a non-english OS? 

Daniel 

All our servers are English OS

@Daniel, All the VDA:s are in English but the clients are usually in Swedish. If sending you a laptop I can reset it and set it to English, except for changing the physical keyboard =)

Neither the client or servers have any Swedish characters in the hostname. We do have dashes "-" in the names on both client and VDA:s however if that's considered a special character. The client is out of the box configured from HP with the client name DESKTOP-UB57FUL

I uploaded the logs on dec 23 to the CIS system. Can't you see them? I know Alan is away for a long leave but he told me he was going to pass this on. If you cant find/see them, can I upload or send you the logs? We have a fileservice I can use to send them if you don't have any specific preference or system to use. 

I can't get in to the link for the upload, chrome just says to many redirects... but here are the info of where I uploaded all the logs from the VDA and client. 

The analysis initiated on Dec. 23, 2020, 8:02 a.m. PST for 80183279 completed successfully.

File name: Collect 23 dec 2020.zip
File size: 467.6 MB
Uploader: Marcus E**e(lsh2003)
Company: Advokatfirma LSH(*****)
Description: Log collections test 23 dec 2020
Analysis status: no issue detected

The complete analysis is available at the following link: http://cis.citrix.com/analysis/upload_overview/dd32f996-4537-11eb-9f9a-000d3ae4f1bc/

Your support representative Alan Du**e has been made aware of the analysis.  

Let me know if you wan't to have the discussion on the case, email or phone instead. Here is fine for me and then everyone else see as well. =)

/Marcus

About the characters I mean the audio device name as seen on client, not hostname etc. Like here in your logs it has = Mikrofonuppsättning (Intel® Smart Sound-teknik)

Ok, if you can send a device that's great. PM me and I'll give you our Dublin office address. First boot it maybe on a fresh HDD with Windows Os install in English and no HP software. 

I can also confirm our OS's are in English:

Laptops we source directly from HP UK by default are English OS

Sever 2016 and other servers we have are in English OS

Regarding special characters on the audio devices, this is what it shows inside Citrix in Teams with the integrated microphone:

image.thumb.png.8d3ab0cdf3489e2237213f1589ca9826.png

7 minutes ago, Daniel Szomboti said:

Then where does this come from? Mikrofonuppsättning :13_upside_down:

The device will be sent to Citrix for testing. PMed already. 

Will work on it that way. 

Daniel 

Multiple people replying and I misunderstood the english/swedish question thinking it was only the client hostname.

On my (Swedish) laptops the microphone are named with local characters so in the Citrix session it shows up named "Mikrofonuppsättning (Intel Smart Sound-teknik"

screenshot from Teams devices menu in the Citrix session.

Teams devices on HP x360 1030 G7.PNG

Just wanted to post a quick update regarding our Citrix case. We have made some progress and have identified that this issue became present when Citrix Workspace was updated on the client machine to a version newer than 1906. Version 1906 still used the HDXTeams.exe sub process on the local machine. Newer versions now use HdxRtcEngine.exe. I know its not a solution, but if you rollback to v1906 the mic should work for you. Citrix has collected a few sets of logs in my case and has their development team investigating. Hoping they come out with an updated version of Workspace soon to address this.

I can confirm I installed 1905 version of the workspace app on a HP EliteBook 840 G7 Laptop and it worked with Citrix Optimised showing with Teams inside Citrix. We probably don't want to keep it on an older version but it is a good bypass temporarily if someone does need to use the inbuilt mic for Teams calls so thanks for letting us know. 

Hi guys. There is still work going on in the background here in Citrix. 

What the issue is on those devices the mic comes with 4 channel support while WebRTC only support two currently. Not just in MTOP. Dev is looking at a way to work around this. 

Can you guys confirm that if mic is set to 2 channels only, all ok?