Welcome to our new Citrix community!

xenserver host limit

Hisham Ishak

Question

8 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

The free version on 8.X limits it to three hosts. The latest paid-for version support I believe up to 64 hosts. Two hosts are not recommended if you want to run HA; if you do have two hosts and want HA, I'd recommend HA-lizard.

-=Tobias

Hi Tobias, would there be any supporting matrix as a reference ?  

It can run with just two hosts (7.X s well as 8.X) but just not with high availability (HA), which Citrix highly recommends using three or more hosts. Otherwise, Citrix' HA gets into a "split brain" issue where it cannot always reliably pick which host becomes the master if one of the two hosts fails. If you run with just two hosts and must have HA, then use https://halizard.com/

I have successfully run two hosts with halizard and can highly recommend it.

-=Tobias

On 11/23/2020 at 9:42 PM, Tobias Kreidl said:

The free version on 8.X limits it to three hosts. The latest paid-for version support I believe up to 64 hosts. Two hosts are not recommended if you want to run HA; if you do have two hosts and want HA, I'd recommend HA-lizard.

-=Tobias

i am trying to upgrade from 6.2 to 7.x and 8.x of xenserver version, but its look like the HA message come out. Does it mean i need to disable the HA and proceed with the upgrade task ?