Welcome to our new Citrix community!

NVidia M10 32GB + ? + VMs with non pass-through vGPU purpose

Peter Van Echaute

Question

Hello,

I have a hardware server that is spec'ed to accept two PCIe3 x16 cards for vGPU cards.  I would like to buy an NVidia Tesla M10 with 32GB of DDR5 as a starter card to get the setup right before buying the second one.  Then, I would like to setup multiple Win10 VMs but NOT Pass-through.  I would like to have each VM use a 1, 2, 3 or 4 GB profile.  IDK the size yet as I need to test what is minimally needed.  What I have described is the two end pieces of the setup as a whole...

[M10 hardware] - [HyperVisor with NVidia driver] - [?] - [vGPU desktop VMs that are not pass-through]

I see in the section "Prepare host for graphics" a sentence that needs clarity..."NVIDIA vGPU is available for Citrix Hypervisor Premium Edition customers, or customers who have access to Citrix Hypervisor through their Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops entitlement."

Do I need Hypervisor Premium (~$3K) or do I need to pursue the Citrix Virtual Desktops "entitlement"?

My confusion is, what is minimally NEEDED in the middle there?  Hypervisor Premium or Virtual Desktops entitlement?  Thank you for your time, you are appreciated!

Have a great day.

Cheers,
Pete

5 answers to this question

First off, the M10 is a very old model and I would not recommend it at this point. A much better card would be a T4. Citrix Hyperisor standard or premium will be needed for GPU support, depending on what features you need/want. See https://www.citrix.com/products/citrix-hypervisor/feature-matrix.html for details. For passthrough, the standard version will suffice. You didn't say what applications you wish to support, as that will also affect what GPU model is a good fit and the GPU memory sizing. The T4 has the advantage that it also draws much less power than the M10 and will fit in a single slot; see this product description for details: https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/Data-Center/tesla-t4/t4-tensor-core-product-brief.pdf

-=Tobias

Thanks Tobias!  That kind of settles my decision making.  The application I am hosting on each VM is a video game called Ark.  On Windows, the server mode can only run in GUI mode and not as a console.  Thus, only one app can run per VM.  This means that I would need 22 VMs for my purpose.  After examining your supplied link of features (thank you!), it seems Premium is required for my purpose as I would want vGPUs.  This means that $3K is mandatory for Premium which equals VMware's Horizon offering into vGPU VMs.  As I am not a business and am doing this for fun, that $3K plus the card value of at least $1800 means that the cost of doing this for fun is no long a valid path given it isn't a business.  If I turn it into a business, at least now I now what to expect.  I appreciate your time and guidance.  Have a good day!

-Pete

Pete,

Yes, you'd need the Premium edition to do vGPU with the various other enhanced features. You could easily put in 2x T4 units instead of one M10 but at quite the cost!

If all you want is for gaming consider a non-GRID GPU and just run it in passthrough mode as long as you can find a driver for it, like maybe a Quadro series GPU.

-=Tobias

Tobias,

Pass-through wouldn't work as I want 22 VMs.  Pass-through is a 1:1 per core and not a GB split like the way vGPUs can be used.  The goal is to server two 11 server clusters of servers all connected together.  One cluster for PVP and one for PVE as the people are different types and so the communities are different.  I have ran an 100 person cluster two years ago that was rented.  But as I am a developer, I would be able to provide myself better service on issues than someone else could.  But seeing the cost wall, the issue management will have to be tolerated for now.  Thanks you.

Cheers,

Pete