Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Will Citrix Viewer run on new Apple hardware with Apple Silicon (M1)?

Daniel Habluetzel

Question

25 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, CitrixSuisse said:

@Divya Chandrasekharan

Thx for the answer.

What's the performance impact while using Rosetta 2 and CWA for MacOS?

I'm using CWA about 8 hours per day for accessing systems of one of my clients, mostly Office and Browser-based apps, plus collaboration tools like Skype and Teams, incl. audio and sometimes video.

My primary machine is a MBP13" Intel, 2017 model. Performance is perfectly fine for me.

I did try the same connection on the Apple Developer Toolkit Apple Silicon based system that Apple provided to certain registered developers in July; this was based on an "iPad Pro"-type mainboard and an A-series CPU. The perceived performance of running CWA in Rosetta was about the same as my main Intel machine, and again completely acceptable for my use.

I am waiting for the delivery of my first "real" Apple Silicon machine; should come in tomorrow, MBP with the M1 chip. All benchmarks published so far indicate that the M1 basically "kills" all portable/laptop Intel Macs released so far when running native applications. This together with the already good overall performance of the DTK pre-release machine lets me believe that most Rosetta Apps will likely run at equal or better performance than on typical mid-range Intel machines. Once updated, it will be a blast.

I'm looking forward to make the switch. IMHO this may well redefine overall user experience for mobile computing. I hope that Citrix releases native/universal versions of their components soon. I'm more than happy to participate in any Beta testing, if available.

• Like 1

I've been testing Citrix Workspace on M1 chip using rosetta 2. Results are satisfying as much more responsiveness on my new MacBook Air 2020 8G than on my i7 3.2Ghz 6C/12T Mac mini. 

The only downsides are same as any intel based Macs:

- top out on energy consumption than any other apps

- no option for native 2x dpi scaling on 1x display (as workspace chome web app), so I have to repurpose a display dedicated for Citrix and force that display to be native 1x pixel (4x logical pixels).

- no keyboard mapping conf

I'd wish moving from translating to native M1 would lower power draw with minor effort, 

and Citrix team put more dev effort on Mac features. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Divya Chandrasekharan said:

hi Everyone, 

Citrix Workspace app for Mac now supports Apple silicon devices (M1 chip) using the Rosetta 2 emulator. For more information about Rosetta, see the Apple support article.https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

As always you can download and use the latest version of Citrix Workspace app for macOS here : https://www.citrix.com/downloads/workspace-app/mac/workspace-app-for-mac-latest.html

Thanks. I believe my issue is related to the known issue where using the USB can cause unexpected closure of the Citrix app. It turns out it only happens if I plug in the USB dongle for the keyboard and/or mouse prior to logging in. If I log in, unplug it, plug it back in, there are no issues. If I use bluetooth for the mouse and keyboard, no issues either.

So, for now, I think it's related to that know issue, that will hopefully be resolved soon.

• Like 1

Citrix viewer has worked mostly fine for me across most Big Sur releases on Apple Silicon (I have had the Apple Developer Transition Kit device since July).

What did work in the beginning but stopped in some Beta release though was the EPA agent. Latest releases for gateway 13.0 can be installed, show a compatibility warning during install, and then doesn’t even start when opening the Gateway Access web page in Safari. This is a showstopper got me. I can access the same site easily from a Big Sur Intel machine, so the issue seems associated with the HW architecture.

Anyone from Citrix care to comment on the plans for this? :-(

@Florian von Kurnatowski: Thanks for reporting. We'll look right into it and message you if we need further clarification. 

@CitrixSuisse: We may move to Universal Architecture in the future , but for now it will be via Rosetta. 

@Steve Cochran: We are actively testing on Apple Silicon and will update this thread once we can officially claim support for it. 

@Florian von Kurnatowski

Thx for your feedback.

Regarding performance (OT)  --> comparing to my i3 intel nuc on the same VDA (remote pc access), everything is much more responsive than using CWA for MacOS on a 2020 MBP (intel). 

For me, mac support really is lagging behind. And with the new non supported RTOP issue with Big Sur, a killer :-(

Can you perhaps give some update tomorrow when you receive your M1 MBP? Would be great to hear how it performs while using CWA with Rosetta.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Divya Chandrasekharan said:

Hi folks,

We have an early access release here with support for Apple Silicon (M1 chip devices) in preview. Please head on over to the link below to test it out and provide feedback here

https://www.citrix.com/en-in/downloads/workspace-app/betas-and-tech-previews/workspace-app-tp-for-mac.html

Hi,

If it is using Apple Silicon, shouldn't it show up as Application (Universal) not Application (Intel)?  I uninstalled the previous version and installed this version but it's showing up as an Intel Application.  I will also submit feedback through the URL you provided.

Thanks,
Jim

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 4.34.42 PM.png

On 11/24/2020 at 8:31 AM, Divya Chandrasekharan said:

Hi folks,

We have an early access release here with support for Apple Silicon (M1 chip devices) in preview. Please head on over to the link below to test it out and provide feedback here

https://www.citrix.com/en-in/downloads/workspace-app/betas-and-tech-previews/workspace-app-tp-for-mac.html

Hi divyac, 

I've downloaded the tested version on my Mac mini (M1). I am using macOS Big Sur. However, whenever I use any keyboard shortcut in Citrix such as Control+S/N, my Citrix will quit unexpectedly. I also have the same issue using the old 2010 release...  

600133913_ScreenShot2020-11-25at3_46_04PM.thumb.png.2a2f53d769184729ca174591a66534dd.png

On 11/13/2020 at 1:12 AM, Florian von Kurnatowski said:

Citrix viewer has worked mostly fine for me across most Big Sur releases on Apple Silicon (I have had the Apple Developer Transition Kit device since July).

What did work in the beginning but stopped in some Beta release though was the EPA agent. Latest releases for gateway 13.0 can be installed, show a compatibility warning during install, and then doesn’t even start when opening the Gateway Access web page in Safari. This is a showstopper got me. I can access the same site easily from a Big Sur Intel machine, so the issue seems associated with the HW architecture.

Anyone from Citrix care to comment on the plans for this? :-(

@Florian von Kurnatowski: This article may help : https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX285295

Citrix Gateway plugin has been deprecated for macOS. Citrix SSO is used instead for VPN. The compatibility warning is because Apple deprecated kernel extensions and is also meant for the Citrix Gateway plugin. 

Running Citrix Workspace Version: 20.12.0.1 (2012) to access a Citrix VDI via Gateway using EPA on a new M1 MacBook Pro.

All works fine, with adequate performance and no issues whatsoever. It's an Intel binary running under Rosetta, but if that's the outcome, no problem with this until Universal is available.

Like pretty much everything else with M1 Apple Silicon, this is near perfect from the start. Apple did a phenomenal job on their previous big transitions (68k-PPC, PPC-Intel, MacOS-OSX!), and this won't be an exception. Windows is so lightyears behind when it comes to OS/HW integration and optimization.

Hey, I have just bought the new Apple silicon MacBook Pro, I use Citrix Receiver for my work. However, I have downloaded both Citrix Receiver and Citrix Workspace and I can't seem to log in to my account. I successfully added my company's account, however, it does not let me log in once I enter my credentials.

It is giving me this error message "cannot sign in to gateway Check your account settings and network connection."

does anyone know what the issue could be?

Thanks

I just got a new Mac Mini (M1, 16 GB RAM). Everything seems to work well with Citrix Workspace version 20.12. 

But the big issue I have is that Zoom VDI does not work through Citrix. People can see my video, but I cannot see myself or anyone else (similar as some of the Skype issues people described). It does however not seem to be a MacOS Big Sur issue as my my old Intel-based Macbook Pro (Late 2013) could run Zoom VDI just fine with MacOS Big Sur.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:48 PM, Kevin Fu said:

Hi divyac, 

I've downloaded the tested version on my Mac mini (M1). I am using macOS Big Sur. However, whenever I use any keyboard shortcut in Citrix such as Control+S/N, my Citrix will quit unexpectedly. I also have the same issue using the old 2010 release...  

600133913_ScreenShot2020-11-25at3_46_04PM.thumb.png.2a2f53d769184729ca174591a66534dd.png

I am having this same/similar issue. Just got a new Mac Mini (16 GB/512 GB), and when I log into Citrix Workspace to access my company's system, it unexpectedly quits any time that I use command + any key (e.g. command+c to copy, command+a to select all, etc.).

I thought it might be the new keyboard I bought to use with it (Logitech MX Keys for Mac), but I tried it again on my late 2013 MacBook Pro with the new keyboard, and no issues with unexpectedly quitting.

I'm running the same version of Big Sur (11.1) on both machines. So, not sure what the issue is, but it's extremely frustrating to say the least.

Any updates on when this might be fixed and whether it's an Apple or Citrix issue?

hi Everyone, 

Citrix Workspace app for Mac now supports Apple silicon devices (M1 chip) using the Rosetta 2 emulator. For more information about Rosetta, see the Apple support article.https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

As always you can download and use the latest version of Citrix Workspace app for macOS here : https://www.citrix.com/downloads/workspace-app/mac/workspace-app-for-mac-latest.html