Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Disabling session number for printer

Sebastien MARGUERITE

Question

Hello all,

We can configure a default printer into our specific software which is published by Citrix.

The problem is one day the printer will be "Canon (from desktop-1)  in session 6" the next day it will became "Canon (from desktop-1)  in session 15"

My problem is that parameter must be common for all my users so here we have 2 issues, the name of the machine which is different for all users and the session number which can be different at every connexion.
I tried to apply the legacy name policy but the problem is the same because the machine's name is present.

In my example, I would like to see my printer as "Canon"

Regards,

11 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Sebastien MARGUERITE said:

I tried this policy as I said, with this solution the problem is the "clientname" which is different for each user.

Regards,

My mistake in reading too quickly.

There may be some additional options to check, if the printer common to all users, is a network printer or a usb printer.

Network printer via session printers policy - assuming its a common printer/print server

Usb redirection of USB printer - usb redirection could be dependant on many factors, driver compatiblity, server vs desktop vda, control over endpoints, so may not be viable solution to the question in many environments. 

Another possibility depending on the software and how it works.

If the software reads the printer to use from a specific user registry location or file, workaround would be to use a script:

1. Script would query printers in session after session launch
  2. Then need match to wanted printer, accomodating variation on session/comptuer name
  3. Then would set printer in specificin location read by application at application start up
  4. Script would only then launch the application.

auto created,auto conneted, auto redirected etc .. client printers needs to be unique, hence the session id or hostname to name and printer port created (printer session space) . There is no way around it to avoid print job routing collisions. (Microsoft_Multi_User_Core) principles... But perhaps we can find a something else.  Why the parameter needs to be common ?

BR

/ramzy

On 11/9/2020 at 7:55 PM, Ramzy Mansour1709151499 said:

auto created,auto conneted, auto redirected etc .. client printers needs to be unique, hence the session id or hostname to name and printer port created (printer session space) . There is no way around it to avoid print job routing collisions. (Microsoft_Multi_User_Core) principles... But perhaps we can find a something else.  Why the parameter needs to be common ?

BR

/ramzy

Hi, in fact, the parameter is common for users located in the same "office".
Even if I ask to my developpers to change this parameter from common to individual the issue will be the same because of the session number which is not permanent.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:39 PM, Salim Hurjuk said:

You can rename the Printer in Citrix Session. Follow this Blog Post.

Change Redirected USB Client Printer Name on XenDesktop VDI Script

https://vzerotohero.com/2016/06/change-redirected-usb-client-printer-name-on-xendesktop-vdi-script/

$printer = get-printer -Name DIYAR-PRINTER*
Rename-Printer -InputObject $printer -NewName DIYAR-PRINTER

Hi,

Good idea but it will be complicated to use it.
You'll fin in attachement an extract of printers redirected by my different clients for 1 VDA.
I don't know the default printer used on our software by my clients and I can't create a script for each existing printer.

Regards,

printer.txt