Welcome to our new Citrix community!

|SOLVED| ctxgfx.exe filling up memory in a few hours / WIn10 / NVIDIA T4

Baumgartner AG

Question

Hey Folks

I have a case open for this, but it is the second case in common within 2 years. Last case was closed without a solution. The problem is random and only happens to 1 user at the moment. 

He called in the other day because his Citrix Desktop had slow performance and started to hang around so he couldn't work normally anymore. I took a look at the VM. Cache Disk was not filled, CPU had no load. Memory was at 14.9GB of 16GB in total. I closed all of his programs one after the other. When all progs were closed, memory load got decreased by about 2GB, but still the biggest part of memory was fully loaded. I could see that ctxgfx.exe used about 5-6GB of memory. I resized the Citrix Desktop to Window mode and back to Fullscreen, and see there: The memory usage dropped rapidly. The problem is: I can see in resource monitor, that ctxgfx.exe was slowly increasing memory usage again after that, about a few KBs per second. After a few hours, Memory will be load out again. This was with no Programs opened.

I have seen this behaviour with two other users when I opened the last case. 

Enviroment:

Windows 10 ENterprise 2004

Citrix Virtual Desktops 1912.1

Citrix Workspace App 2006.1

NVIDIA Tesla T4

NVIDIA Host Driver: 450.55

NVIDIA Client Driver: 451.48

I can't seem to find out what causes the memory consumption of ctxgfx.exe to increase this rapidly. Maybe someone had a similar problem or can give some advice how to get more information on this.

Thanks in advance

Cedy

6 answers to this question

On 11/17/2020 at 6:29 PM, Nate Erickson said:

I'm experiencing the same thing with random users in my XD environment but with the NVidia Tesla M10 card.  ctxgfx consumes a large amount of memory and then we get calls of poor performance and freeze ups.  I haven't been able to figure out any patterns or reasons, nothing in the logs when it does freeze.  We're currently using 1912 LTSR on Win10 1909.  I was just about to open a case with Citrix when I came across this thread, so I just wanted to throw my experience in too, as I don't think there's a large amount of people with nvidia cards in their environment.

Environment:

Win 10 Ent 1909

CVD 1912

Workspace app 1912 (Windows and IGEL mix)

NVIDIA Tesla M10

VMWare ESX 6.7U3

NVIDIA Host driver 440.107

NVIDIA Client driver 443.46

Hi nericks

I had another case open with Citrix last week (The third one regarding this problem), and they finally were able to acknowledge the problem and they also fixed it.

In resource monitor of Windows I could clearly see, that from the time the session is fully logged in, ctxgfx.exe started to fill up memory continously, a few KBs every second. Only chance to reduce the consumed amount of memory was to resize the citrix session window. But then ctxgfx.exe will start again to comsume memory.

Problem is solved in latest VDA 2009. I installed it and did some tests. Memory comsumption does not grow over 300MB (memory consumption depends on your resolution and the amount of screens you are running the citrix session, mine is 2x 2K 30" display), and it also frees up some memory sometimes. Install VDA 2009 and the problem will be gone.

Regards, Cedy

• Like 1

I'm experiencing the same thing with random users in my XD environment but with the NVidia Tesla M10 card.  ctxgfx consumes a large amount of memory and then we get calls of poor performance and freeze ups.  I haven't been able to figure out any patterns or reasons, nothing in the logs when it does freeze.  We're currently using 1912 LTSR on Win10 1909.  I was just about to open a case with Citrix when I came across this thread, so I just wanted to throw my experience in too, as I don't think there's a large amount of people with nvidia cards in their environment.

Environment:

Win 10 Ent 1909

CVD 1912

Workspace app 1912 (Windows and IGEL mix)

NVIDIA Tesla M10

VMWare ESX 6.7U3

NVIDIA Host driver 440.107

NVIDIA Client driver 443.46

On 11/26/2020 at 4:01 AM, Baumgartner AG said:

Hi nericks

I had another case open with Citrix last week (The third one regarding this problem), and they finally were able to acknowledge the problem and they also fixed it.

In resource monitor of Windows I could clearly see, that from the time the session is fully logged in, ctxgfx.exe started to fill up memory continously, a few KBs every second. Only chance to reduce the consumed amount of memory was to resize the citrix session window. But then ctxgfx.exe will start again to comsume memory.

Problem is solved in latest VDA 2009. I installed it and did some tests. Memory comsumption does not grow over 300MB (memory consumption depends on your resolution and the amount of screens you are running the citrix session, mine is 2x 2K 30" display), and it also frees up some memory sometimes. Install VDA 2009 and the problem will be gone.

Regards, Cedy

That is great news, I never managed to get anywhere with my case.  We are on 1912 LTSR so I will look into that and ask Citrix about a fix included in the next LTSR CU.  I do see the fix mentioned in the release notes so its great that they made some progress on it.  Thank you for following up!

On 12/27/2020 at 7:27 AM, Nate Erickson said:

That is great news, I never managed to get anywhere with my case.  We are on 1912 LTSR so I will look into that and ask Citrix about a fix included in the next LTSR CU.  I do see the fix mentioned in the release notes so its great that they made some progress on it.  Thank you for following up!

You can update VDA from 1912 LTSR to 2009, works like a charm. VDA 2009 is fully compatible with 1912 Controllers and storefront.

This article is quiet old but i too am experiencing high memory usage for ctxgfx process.

i'm running the latest version - VDA 2203 CU2 and CWA 2302 on end point.

I have Nvidia A40 cards and my Virtual desktops are running  3 x 4k monitors with a 4GB GPU frame buffer. 

The ctxgfx process is consuming around 1GB of RAM and the windows DWM.exe process is also high! the impact appears to be lag for the end user.

I also believe that this graphics issue is causing my - "Unable to reconnect to a disconnected session" issue too as i believe the win OS is so busy dealing with these 2 processes that when a user tries to disconnect and reconnect straight away, it appears that the VDA Hasn't disconnected itself gracefully.