Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows .vbs logon scripts are not being executed when launching Published Applications, but do when launching a virtual desktop

Travis MAIN NUMBER Rabe

Question

Just as the title says, these are not running when launching published applications, which is causing them to fail as they look for license files on network drives.  However, if I launch the virtual desktop the logon scripts are run and the mapped network drives are there.  However, if I change the logon script to a bat file, then the logon script runs, but I prefer the cleanliness of the VBS file.

I also tried the steps in CTX137853 - but this made no difference.

Any ideas on what I might be missing?

3 answers to this question

On 10/23/2020 at 9:46 AM, Travis MAIN NUMBER Rabe said:

Just as the title says, these are not running when launching published applications, which is causing them to fail as they look for license files on network drives.  However, if I launch the virtual desktop the logon scripts are run and the mapped network drives are there.  However, if I change the logon script to a bat file, then the logon script runs, but I prefer the cleanliness of the VBS file.

I also tried the steps in CTX137853 - but this made no difference.

Any ideas on what I might be missing?

I've done some additional testing and I can confirm that if I remove the logon script entry from the AD location and run it at the desktop, there are no errors and everything runs fine, but when launching the published application, it skips running the logon script all together.  This is an issue with the apps, because they cannot find the license files or shared data sources, and as a result, the app crashes and won't open.

If anyone can assist, that would be great!

This may not be your problem but I run into a similar situation this occasionally and it's easy to fix.  

Sessions started via a published application don’t run all the background jobs that published desktops do.  To force all the jobs to run, add the following to the local group policy:

Script Name: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\runonce.exe

Script Parameters: /AlternateShellStartup

image.thumb.png.3b0881c7dc66114936c1b28973f1c12e.png

11 hours ago, Jeff Gardiner1709159995 said:

This may not be your problem but I run into a similar situation this occasionally and it's easy to fix.  

Sessions started via a published application don’t run all the background jobs that published desktops do.  To force all the jobs to run, add the following to the local group policy:

Script Name: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\runonce.exe

Script Parameters: /AlternateShellStartup

image.thumb.png.3b0881c7dc66114936c1b28973f1c12e.png

That seemed to get closer, but not in the way I would have liked.

When using this, other apps that run at startup, also fired up.  For example, another version of Teams, MitelConnect and a few other programs opened as well...sadly the one thing that did not run, were the logon scripts.