Welcome to our new Citrix community!

PVS Volume to Volume copy - VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE

Shane Paul

Question

Hello everyone. 

I'm trying to volume to volume reverse image of a Win10 vDisk to a VMware VMDK which I've done dozens of times in the past. But on this one, I'm getting an error, "Failed to snapshot." with the log showing the below. I've used XenConvert and P2PVS and the results are the same with both tools. 

10/19/20 13:40:28: Failed to finish DoSnapshotSet.
10/19/20 13:40:28: VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE
10/19/20 13:40:28: Failed to snapshot. <System message text was not found> (0x8004231F)
10/19/20 13:40:28: Aborting Volume Shadow Copy...
10/19/20 13:40:28: Volume to Volume stopped at Monday, October 19, 2020 1:40:28 PM
10/19/20 13:40:28: Volume to Volume lasted    4.8 seconds

I looked at https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX130702 and both services are started, so that is not the problem. I removed and attached a new VMDK making sure it had more the twice the space necessary to do a volume to volume copy and still no go. 

It's a hot item right now for this customer and any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Shane Paul

2 answers to this question

The error is usually about the source, rather than the destination.

Check free space on volumes which are being snapshotted. This is usually encoutnered where the drive has insufficent freespace on the file system for VSS snapshot to complete. The vss snapshot once created is used for imaging to the destination. On full disk imaging, this has sometimes been seen due to insuffcient space in recovery partition (due to some errant data written there)