Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenServer 7.5 not booting after successful installation on HPE Proliant DL380 Gen 10 hardware.

Shakeel Ahamed1709162372

Question

16 answers to this question

Hi Tobias and Clark,

Thank you for the support and help. I managed to install. My HP Proliant DL380 Gen10 server has 7 SAS (4 -2.4TB and 3- 1.4TB) disks I was trying to install on one of disk without creating an array. Later I created an array for one 2.4TB disk and installed Xen server on it and is working the Xen server booted and working fine.

Am new to Xen server, need your expert recommendations and suggestions for below points.

- I don't want to waste 2.4 TB for only Xen Server want to install it on 128 GB Memory stick, I managed to install it on memory stick at boot its taking to the screen.

grub> please help me how to fix this issue.

- If I success ed installing on memory stick, how to store Xen server logs on other drive to lessen the burden on memory stick please guide with steps.

- Also I want to use my 7 SAS drives as single storage and I will create VMs on this storage, how can I do this please guide steps

I highly discourage putting any storage device on a memory stick (thumb drive) as it is not designed for usage as a boot device or for any operations requiring a lot of writes. It will wear out and fail. Just use your local drive for the 42.5 GB of storage needed to run XenServer/Citrix Hypervisor. It's a small price to pay for reliability. I generally recommend using a pair of separate small drives with RAID1 (mirroring) for reliability.

But even if you use the 2.4 TB drive for the OS, you can still designate the rest not used by the Citrix Hypervisor installation space to be used as a local SR. That is asked for as part of the installation process.

As to other storage, you can create a separate RAID drive out of your other SAS drives and add that as local storage. If you do not want to do a complete re-install and include them then as part of the local SR configuration, you can add local SR storage later but to do so, you have to use the CLI. See: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX130897

Logs can be redirected to other devices, even over the network to external servers. See for example: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX222747

-=Tobias

6 minutes ago, Shakeel Ahamed1709162372 said:

Hi Tobias,

Please guide me I want to make 6 SAS drives as single storage device, how to do it in Xenserver.

As already posted above, see: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX130897

Once the installation has been completed, the only way to add other local storage is by using the CLI.

During the installation, if you have multiple local drives already seen by the host, they can all be configured during the installation process as one of the steps.