Welcome to our new Citrix community!

7.15 environment - all apps/desktops launching with black screen

Luan Swanepoel

Question

Hi everyone

This one might be tricky to solve but hope the thread doesn't go on for too long.

One of my customer's environments (based on 7.15) are having this issue where all applications and desktops are launching with a black screen for 30 seconds or more. So they click an icon, the usual Citrix Profile Management, GPOs etc are processed and then it will literally just be a black screen before Desktop/icons/control etc are presented to user.

It only happens with ICA sessions and not RDP sessions, internally or externally (customer does not use Citrix ADC, another solution for external access). 

Some things I have tried which do not work:

- Upgrading an affected VDA to the latest CU6.

- Disabling auto launch of Server Manager.

- Checking if there are any login scripts locally on the server (cannot find any).

I have yet to try all from this article though so will give it a shot: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX235681

I have also noticed in Citrix Director it mentions the Interactive Session time is what is causing this but does not specify exact reason in the version running on this deployment.

Regards and thanks again for the help

4 answers to this question

On 10/14/2020 at 7:48 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Try running procmon during a logon to see what processes are running during the black screen.

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. With help from procmon it appears switching off the "Citrix Print Manager Service" service removes the black screen. Do you know what it does? Not sure if my users require it or not because I don't know what it does - I assume related to printing of course. 

Regards