Jump to content
Welcome to our new Citrix community!
  • 0

Teams - no difference after disabling GPU option


Daniel Dunn1709158952

Question

Hi we dont have a GPU/vGPU on our VMware host so I have followed this

 

If the Virtual Desktop does not have a GPU/vGPU, we recommend "Disable GPU hardware acceleration" in Teams/Settings in order to improve performance. This setting ("disableGpu":true") is stored in %Appdata%\Microsoft\Teams inside desktop-config.json, so you could also use a logon script to edit that file and set the value to true.

 

It doesnt appear to make any difference to the resources used in the session though

 

Users still run at 400-500mb memory

 

Maybe this is normal but i just wanted to check?

 

Thanks

Link to comment

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
4 hours ago, Daniel Dunn1709158952 said:

Hi we dont have a GPU/vGPU on our VMware host so I have followed this

 

If the Virtual Desktop does not have a GPU/vGPU, we recommend "Disable GPU hardware acceleration" in Teams/Settings in order to improve performance. This setting ("disableGpu":true") is stored in %Appdata%\Microsoft\Teams inside desktop-config.json, so you could also use a logon script to edit that file and set the value to true.

 

It doesnt appear to make any difference to the resources used in the session though

 

Users still run at 400-500mb memory

 

Maybe this is normal but i just wanted to check?

 

Thanks

 

Yes, it is normal. It will go a little bit higher if you open a document to edit inside Teams or use other apps. My rule of thumb at this stage is to have 1GB spare for Teams. 

Here is mine in the VDA as we speak with one Word doc open: 
 

image.thumb.png.99beb975979971758e485eb78b4e8a91.png

 

 

EDIT: If memory is at the limit I noticed that the Teams UI is extreamly slow, almost unusable.

Link to comment
  • 0
14 minutes ago, Daniel Dunn1709158952 said:

Thanks for this!

 

Do you think it is worth disabling?

 

We are finding Teams calls not connecting randomly, seems to effect those on the same VDA, we think it might be caused by more people back to work and the memory getting stretched

 

VDAs are getting up to 80% now

 

Honestly I've seen that make no difference in my tests but I am sure Microsoft asks for that to be disabled for a reason, so I would follow the advice in case their help is needed. 

It should still connect. We had a bug in the past for random disconnects, especially not optimizing after a reconnect to session. 

Make sure you are using CWA 2009.6. 

Link to comment
  • 0
6 hours ago, Daniel Szomboti said:

 

Honestly I've seen that make no difference in my tests but I am sure Microsoft asks for that to be disabled for a reason, so I would follow the advice in case their help is needed. 

It should still connect. We had a bug in the past for random disconnects, especially not optimizing after a reconnect to session. 

Make sure you are using CWA 2009.6. 

 

We did try it but users were reporting black screens in Teams video calls so rolled back.

 

The not optimizing after reconnects was fixed by Microsoft a couple of months ago.

 

There is a new version of 2009.6 though which we havent tested yet.

Link to comment
  • 0
23 hours ago, Daniel Dunn1709158952 said:

 

We did try it but users were reporting black screens in Teams video calls so rolled back.

 

The not optimizing after reconnects was fixed by Microsoft a couple of months ago.

 

There is a new version of 2009.6 though which we havent tested yet.

 

 

Disabling GPU in Teams Settings should alleviate the CPU on the VDA , I doubt it makes a dent on RAM.

Otherwise the Teams UI (not video, but the UI itself and all the animations/transitions) are trying to be rendered with GPU emulation and taxing the CPU (because there is no GPU in your host).

 

 

As for your RDS Servers - how many concurrent users are logging in to the Windows Server and trying to optimize Teams?

Link to comment
  • 0
15 hours ago, Fernando Klurfan1709153904 said:

 

 

Disabling GPU in Teams Settings should alleviate the CPU on the VDA , I doubt it makes a dent on RAM.

Otherwise the Teams UI (not video, but the UI itself and all the animations/transitions) are trying to be rendered with GPU emulation and taxing the CPU (because there is no GPU in your host).

 

 

As for your RDS Servers - how many concurrent users are logging in to the Windows Server and trying to optimize Teams?

 

Thanks for this!

 

I will give it a try.

 

I have tried to keep it at 8 max, the servers have 24GB of RAM but its getting up to 80% usage of RAM so I might have to put another machine in to get the numbers down a bit

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...