Welcome to our new Citrix community!

replacing a crashed XenServer

Keith Lynn

Question

I have a Dell PowerEdge 930 with one boot hard drive that holds XenServer. The other hard drives in the system hold virtual machines. The boot drive with XenServer crashed. I bought a replacement hard drive and reinstalled XenServer on it. If I replace the crashed boot drive with the new one, what is the best way to bring back the already existing virtual machines on the healthy drives after I reboot the system and connect through XenCenter or should I use the XenServer console?

7 answers to this question

Worst case, you will need to do a reinstall with preserving local storage, assuming ll the drives you are talking about were local storage on the original host? To do this, you'll have to reinstall again XenServer on your host but will need to identify and preserve local storage from the other SRs. https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX136342

Hopefully the local storage will not have been already attached and overwritten. This is a single, stand-alone host with only local storage SRs, correct?

21 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

When you reinstall XenServer you have to unselect the hard drive when doing a clean install or your drives will be reinitialized. 

You may have inadvertently wiped your disks and will have to restore from backup.

--Alan--

Depends whether or not all the other local drives were included in the installation process. If not, they should be still salvageable if not included as part of the clean install process.

-=Tobias

The server has 10 drives where the virtual machine storage is. The drive that crashed is the boot drive. It only had XenServer on it. Dell has discontinued the drives that are currently in it, and an Axiom replacement drive wasn't recognized by the server. I found a refurbished drive on ebay and the server recognizes it. Tomorrow I will attempt to install XenServer on the new drive and then use the instructions provided in your links to try to recreate the virtual machine structure

Good luck, hopefully your LVM is intact and restoration will be easier. If you can see storage/vdi's once you have XenServer installed then its just a matter of recreating VM's and connecting the right VM to the correct vdi. This is where labeling disks comes in real handy.

--Alan--

Thanks for everyone's responses. I was able to get XenServer reinstallted and it's fairly easy to get the existing virtual machines back since the data drives weren't affected, only the boot drive.

I do have another question though. The new boot drive is approximately 900 GB. I would like to create a new drive out of some of that space to use for .iso storage. When connecting to XenServer through the command line interface (ssh), how can I view the unallocated portion of the boot drive the Xen didn't use? Thanks.

Run "fdisk -l" from the CLI and it will show you what partitions you have allocated. My recollection is that they are all used as part of the Citrix Hypervisor installation, so likely there is no free partition available on the boot drive.

As an alternative, might I suggest a shared NFS drive that can be mounted by all your XenServer hosts?

-=Tobias