Welcome to our new Citrix community!

SFP's on SDX for 40G ports

Abhijith KS

Hi All,

We have 14100 40S SDX boxes and 40G interfaces are currently unused, we are planning to connect them to Nexus 9k siwtch ports for new connectivity. As per Citrix, we need to have a 40G SFP on both CItrix and the Cisco end ? has anyone used a 40G port on their SDX. 

Also, is using a Citrix proprietary SFP mandatory ? we were thinking of using third party ( Cisco ) spare SFP's for SDX for our other 10G ports. 

Hello,

I'd strongly consider using the Citrix SFP on the Citrix appliance and use a Cisco SFP on the Cisco switch.  I have used Cisco Optics on the Citrix SDX and not had issues, but you leave yourself vulnerable from a support perspective if you choose non-supported optics on the Citrix appliance.  To answer your question : No you do not need Citrix optics on both sides. 

I have brand new 15000 SDX appliances that I am running with Citrix optics on the SDX and Cisco optics on the Cisco side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Josh Slaney said:

Hello,

I'd strongly consider using the Citrix SFP on the Citrix appliance and use a Cisco SFP on the Cisco switch.  I have used Cisco Optics on the Citrix SDX and not had issues, but you leave yourself vulnerable from a support perspective if you choose non-supported optics on the Citrix appliance.  To answer your question : No you do not need Citrix optics on both sides. 

I have brand new 15000 SDX appliances that I am running with Citrix optics on the SDX and Cisco optics on the Cisco side.

Thanks, how about for 40G ports ? I believe, you need a 40G fiber port on the Switch end as well. Correct ?

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-hardware-platforms/sdx/hardware-platforms/sdx-14000-40s.html

Per this data sheet you have the following ports:

Network Ports: four-40S QSFP+ ports and eight 10G SFP+ ports (4x40G QSFP+ + 8x10G SFP+).

If you want to run the 40Gb ports you need a switch capable of 40Gbps QSFP+ ports.  Otherwise your alternative option is to hook in multiple 10G SFP+ ports and run a port channel if your switch isn't 40Gb QSFP+ capable.