Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Teams optimization on Wyse terminals

Mike_B

Question

Hi,

I have a strange issue with some Wyse 5070s, where during a Teams call, if a user shares their screen then the audio quality suddenly becomes very poor.  HDX Optimization is in use and the audio works fine (using a straightforward Jabra USB headset), until you share your screen.   Immediately the audio cuts in and out every second or two, and/or 'robot-voice' distortion, making it very hard to follow a conversation. Stop the screen share, and the voice quickly comes back to normal.  If you disable HDX Optimization then the effect goes away, but obviously the quality is worse anyway.

We tested today using a PC to connect to the Citrix machine (same Citrix session), that could share it's screen without any audio problems.  So the problem seems like it is endpoint-side, rather than a Citrix VDA issue.

We have lots of network bandwidth and Performance Monitor on the Wyse is only showing about 15% CPU utilised and almost no RAM used, so this looks more like a software package problem to me.  Everything is up to date with the new BIOS, ThinOS and Workspace that was released on 7th Sept, though I've tried the previous versions and it behaves the same.  The  Workspace package is a Wyse-modified version of Workspace for Linux 2006.

Anyone else come across this, and have any suggestions?  I tried a 3040 we have lying around too, same problem on that as well.   Being a thin client, getting HDX logs isn't possible like it would be with a PC endpoint.

7 answers to this question

It's fixed!

Root cause was a shim package, written by Citrix but distributed by MS into VDIs when Teams connects to the tenant in O365.   On 15th October, version 1.7 was rolled out and all us lot on Linux based terminals started having major problems.   Today, it was globally rolled back to version 1.3.0.5 and now all three of my terminal types are suddenly working again...

• Like 1

It's a nice idea but unfortunately the endpoints are running ThinOS, which is (essentially) a locked-down version of Linux.   The config for the Workspace app within it is completely out of sight and can't be changed, even for an admin user such as myself.   There are no settings for it in the management policies for the terminals either.   :(

That's good to hear, thank you.   Interestingly the Teams video quality on webcams attached to these terminals is really poor, much worse than the same camera attached to a PC.  I guess that could also be because the Workspace app settings are pinning the performance at 'low' too.

Hopefully Dell will incorporate such options in an update to their Wyse Management Suite, so they can be easily rolled out to fleets of terminals.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:12 PM, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

It's fixed!

Root cause was a shim package, written by Citrix but distributed by MS into VDIs when Teams connects to the tenant in O365.   On 15th October, version 1.7 was rolled out and all us lot on Linux based terminals started having major problems.   Today, it was globally rolled back to version 1.3.0.5 and now all three of my terminal types are suddenly working again...

Hi,

Whilst not Linux based Endpoints, I've been seeing some strange behaviour with my Windows devices and HDX.   On the contrary, my devices started to work with HDX correctly (they were "HDX not connected" after disconnect / reconnect)  around the time period yours stopped, and strangely they've stopped working again in the past week or so.

Was your info on versions / shims supplied by Ms / Citrix support or other?  I ask as it is my current theory that the backend changes are causing this carnage in my env.  It would be most useful to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,

On 11/18/2020 at 10:30 AM, Kris Castelow1709159165 said:

Hi,

Whilst not Linux based Endpoints, I've been seeing some strange behaviour with my Windows devices and HDX.   On the contrary, my devices started to work with HDX correctly (they were "HDX not connected" after disconnect / reconnect)  around the time period yours stopped, and strangely they've stopped working again in the past week or so.

Was your info on versions / shims supplied by Ms / Citrix support or other?  I ask as it is my current theory that the backend changes are causing this carnage in my env.  It would be most useful to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,

Let me follow up with you on this