Citrix App Layering and SCCM and\or BigFix

Martin Mason1709161894

Question

HI, just looking to see if anyone can advise on the application  delivery strategy with regards Citrix app layering?

We are currently using BigFix to patch O\S and SCCM for apllication delivery and update.

We were thinking of installing BigFix on O\S layer, and then SCCM on the Platform\ layer, as we were advised to put SCCM on platform layer, so this means the Platform becomes our rather large app layer, and any other app layers would require manual install, this seems a bit contrived for an enterprise solution?

Has anyone had any experience of App Layering with SCCM\BigFix?

Thanks in advance

14 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

I have seen customers install Big Fix in a packaging platform layer.  Then they include that when updating the OS layer.  That way Big Fix wont be installed on your published VDAs.  It seemed to work very well.

Hi Rob thanks very much for the reply, so just to confirm are you suggesting no Big Fix on the OS layer, but instead install on a Platform layer?

If so how would the OS layer get patched? Apologies if i am not getting this correct.

2 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Yes in a publishing platform layer not the normal platform layer.  The first check box on the Platform Types tab.

image.thumb.png.c60e43bb439e933d62cbd59a0cf38e57.png

Rob, again thanks for the prompt reply, so just to confirm can i and would i have multiple platform layers with the one OS layer?

1 platform Layer for patching updating the OS layer, another platform layer for publishing images?

Thanks again really appreciate it.

10 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Correct you wont be allowed to choose the packaging platform layer when publishing.  They are kept separate.

Excellent, thank mate, i will give this a shot.

I also have loads of questions about SCCM on Platform layer fio application deployment but i will try this first.

Ta

In fact i need to ask, would a new version of the OS layer need to be created? or will patching the Platform Layer VM in turn write the patches\delta to the OS layer?

Ta

Edited by mmason855
Forgot to ask

I have never seen SCCM work for packaging with App Layering.  One customer told me once they had it all worked out once but I wasnt involved.  They had to make it work without requiring the packaging machines to be domain joined and i think the way to go would be to also use a packaging platform layer if you try to get it to work.

9 hours ago, Darryl Sakach said:

We successfully installed the BigFix Client in an app layer and published it. We only used it for reporting. We disabled it from pushing updates to the provisioned devices through BigFix configuration. I wish we would have known about the Packaging Platform Layer concept, very cool. We no longer use BigFix.

Thanks for the comment Darryl, if you dont mind me asking how did you patch the OS layer, as i dont think Windows update\WSUS is an option for us.

On 9/10/2020 at 5:41 PM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Correct you wont be allowed to choose the packaging platform layer when publishing.  They are kept separate.

Hi Rob

Can you advise the steps please, we have tried a OS layer without Big fix, and a packaging platform layer with Big Fix installed, we updated the packaging Platform layer with patches and then captured, but i am failing to understand how the patches get transferred to the OS layer without 'up-versioning' the OS layer?

We then deployed a new template and we could see the packaging platform layer? We are currently deploying this as a template and will further investigate.

Thanks 

11 hours ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Sorry i didnt explain it well. You dont run updates in the platform layer. You add a version to your os layer and select the packaging platform layer. Then you use bigfix to update the os layer. So the platform layer is just to get bigfix on the packaging machine. 

Hi Rob

Thanks again, apologies if i am not getting this, but when i create a new version of the OS layer i cannot see the platform layer to attach or were i attach it?

image.thumb.png.030da05607be9931f3371d8bc26e5078.png

I do have both platform layers created and deploy-able:

image.thumb.png.55586dcb460cf13a674e222b53e3257b.png

Can you confirm if i am following the correct process here please?

Ta

Your doing the right thing I am the one who made a mistake.  I forgot you cant choose a packaging platform layer for an OS version.  So you will have to use an App Layer for Windows Updates, then you will  be allowed to select the packaging platform layer.  The downside to this process is you will have to include the Windows Update layer as a prerequisite layer on all your app layers to make sure they see the latest updates and of course on all your image templates.  When it comes time do do a feature upgrade you woudl do the upgrade from an iso as a new version on your OS  layer, then create a totally new Windows update layer.

Sorry for causing confusion.

Rob