Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Unable to upgrade VDA on 2012R2 from 7.12 to 1912LTSR

Eric Arbour

Question

I'm in the process to upgrading our Citrix XenDesktop LTSR 1912, and I have the same problem.

At first, I tried to upgrade the VDA of a 2012R2 server from 7.12 to 1912CU1, I got an error regarding the uninstallation of “Plugin Citrix Monitor Service VDA” with the error 1603. I tried to remove the VDA from the control panel and had the same result. So, I used VDA Cleanup Utility and everything is removed fine.

After a couple of reboots, I tried again to install the VDA and I still have the previous result, an error 1603 showing in the result log of the installation.

The msi log of VdaMonitorPlugin_x64 is showing: Error 1721: Problem with this Windows Installer package.

The problem is the same with version 2004 of the VDA.

4 answers to this question

At first, I tried an upgrade from the ISO and it didn’t work. I did a restore of the VM, the I used the VDA Cleanup Utility the I tried again from got again the same error again. Did a restore again, used the cleanup utility again, cleaned up everything in the registry and on the drive of any traces. I also removed all C++ Framework and .Net 4.7. I tried again with the latest VDA from Citrix Download without success.

To be sure that the problem is not with this server only, I tried on another server and had the same error.