Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Hypervisor Express trial license

Peter VARGA1709157052

Question

16 answers to this question

Its hard to guess corporate America, and I've been a Citrix advocate for a decade. But as an organization we made the 

hard decision to switch to a competitors hypervisor.  Several factors, hardware support, local vendor support, even 

market share and licensing. Even though we purchased support, Citrix literally ran off the free users so development of 

the product has slowed to a crawl. Am I disappointed? Sure, I've spent uncountable hours on the forums. And I'll 

continue to check in, but I do expect my participation to dwindle as I will become unfamiliar starting with the 8.x

releases. 

--Alan

Alas, same here. I no longer have access to active Citrix Hypervisor  XenServer instances. Making it so hard to get a trial license contradicts any rational marketing strategy, especially since gaining access to the free version was never complicated nor required anything other than a Citrix login account. It's really sad to see so many years (over a decade) of experience become obsolete so quickly.

As an alternative, you might want to take a look at XCP-NG, which is based on XenServer and has much more liberal licensing options: https://xcp-ng.org/

-=Tobias

21 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Alas, same here. I no longer have access to active Citrix Hypervisor  XenServer instances. Making it so hard to get a trial license contradicts any rational marketing strategy, especially since gaining access to the free version was never complicated nor required anything other than a Citrix login account. It's really sad to see so many years (over a decade) of experience become obsolete so quickly.

As an alternative, you might want to take a look at XCP-NG, which is based on XenServer and has much more liberal licensing options: https://xcp-ng.org/

-=Tobias

Thank you Tobias, I will check it out. Never heard of it but I think now is the time to commit the change. Citrix continuously removes features and tries to sell the new, worst situation as the big hit.

This happens when marketing and commerce make the decisions in a company.

Hey Peter, in case you are interested, you are very welcome in the XCP-ng community. We got a very active forum with a LOT of active members, where you can post any questions you might have about it.

XCP-ng isn't "more liberal", there's simple no license to use all features you like without any restriction. Business is based on support, which is currently working because we got more and more people subscribing (some of them are very angry against "recent" XenServer direction, I don't blame them).

I completely respect their choice and I'm not trying to convince anyone to switch if they don't want. At least you can try everything for free with XCP-ng. I'm convinced this is the right way to do things.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:23 PM, Olivier Lambert said:

Hey Peter, in case you are interested, you are very welcome in the XCP-ng community. We got a very active forum with a LOT of active members, where you can post any questions you might have about it.

Hi Olamber768, I apologise deeply for the very late delay.

At the moment I am very busy with several projects: What I can definitely say is, should Citrix continue to reduce the service and only take care of its shareholders, then after 15 years as a Citrix user I have to say "goodbye" and I will look around for alternatives.. Thank you for the link and once my time allows it I will check it out. Kind regards, Peter

No worries. To be fair, Citrix is very likely busy to continue on their core business, which is remote desktop (and also now in the cloud). I think that explains your impression.

At the opposite, we are (Vates) focused on a "niche market" for on-prem virtualization platform, a market that's smaller and not profitable enough for a large company like Citrix.

In the end, we aren't competing at all with Citrix! At some point, we'd love to have official support for XenApp and XenDesktop on top of XCP-ng, which is trivial for them to do.

After 15 years of XenServer we have converted to VMWare.  Once Citrix alienated the "free" users and starting heavy handed restrictions the quality 

of the product suffered.  We thought about XCP-ng, but we have a couple of software packages that are only certified for VMWare so that was a

driving factor as well.  I will occasionally check in on the forums, but going forward I will be less and less involved.

--Alan--