Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Director & Studio Published Apps

Stan Svetec

Question

Hi,

In both my old XenApp 6.5 and my new CVAD 1912, I Publish Apps into my users Publish Desktops.  In XenApp 6.5 via AppCenter (and Director for that matter), if a user launched a Published App within a Published desktop, the session details for both the desktop and app would be visible.

In CVAD via Director or Studio, I only see the published desktop details but nothing pertaining to the published app.  In the 'Applications in Use' column within Studio, it's blank despite the fact I know users have launched a published app within.

Is this intentional?  

5 answers to this question

I'm curious how you are able to view the published desktops?  Maybe i'm missing that feature with 7.15 when compared to 1912?  But i have yet to find a way to differentiate between published apps and published desktops.  I publish Apps and Desktops in the same delivery group.  Director has "Application Instances" but that only shows the running applications, but does not show any of the "desktop" sessions.  In 6.5 it was easy to tell the difference. 

12 hours ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

1912 supports vPrefer, which means if the app is installed on the local VDA it just runs the local app instead of running it as a separate published app (separate session). Director does not show local apps. It only shows published apps.

I kind of figured that, which is what threw me just a little when the user launches the app courtesy via a Published App, but vPrefer effectively tells it that it isn't.

8 hours ago, Chris Flick said:

I'm curious how you are able to view the published desktops?  Maybe i'm missing that feature with 7.15 when compared to 1912?  But i have yet to find a way to differentiate between published apps and published desktops.  I publish Apps and Desktops in the same delivery group.  Director has "Application Instances" but that only shows the running applications, but does not show any of the "desktop" sessions.  In 6.5 it was easy to tell the difference. 

I don't explicitly view them.  In Studio, I click on the sessions and take a look at the Session details in the pane below.  The majority of my users will be using a Published Desktop, so I know that the bulk of the sessions in there will be a Desktop session.  XA 6.5 was easy to look at all the sessions and find the Desktop vs App sessions.  1912 doesn't (if at all) have that ability to view this 'at a glance' which would be nice.