Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Generic (not Optimized) USB Redirection without registry change

Jeremy Beaver

Question

Recently we were working with support on a USB headset redirection for use of a softphone in Chrome.  We were able to get it to work but only by adding a registry entry to force the headset to "generic" and not optimized.  Unfortunately this is not an option for those with computers we do not control.  

So adding a feature request to be able to have that as a control inside of the Citrix settings.  This way we can make it work without asking users to modify their registry.

3 answers to this question

On 8/27/2020 at 2:36 PM, Jeremy Beaver said:

Recently we were working with support on a USB headset redirection for use of a softphone in Chrome.  We were able to get it to work but only by adding a registry entry to force the headset to "generic" and not optimized.  Unfortunately this is not an option for those with computers we do not control.  

So adding a feature request to be able to have that as a control inside of the Citrix settings.  This way we can make it work without asking users to modify their registry.

Users can switch the USB device to generic mode by going to Preferences in the desktop toolbar, and then clicking on Switch to generic next to the device on the Devices tab.

2 hours ago, Nick Panaccio said:

Users can switch the USB device to generic mode by going to Preferences in the desktop toolbar, and then clicking on Switch to generic next to the device on the Devices tab.

thank you for the reply Nick... we know this, but we are trying to avoid these kinds of things to make it easier for the end user and not have to keep making configuration changes.  That is why i posted for a feature request.

I beat this issue to death with my TAM's.  We have remote users, signing in from their home (unmanaged) equipment and we have no way to push the regkeys to them.  I created and pushed the regkeys to internal machines so it's only the home users now.  

I've was told it was a feature they were working on for a cloud configuration component.  This was sometime in late 2019, so I have no idea if that configuration component is out or not yet. We don't use their cloud in any capacity thus far so it's of no assistance to us and I stopped paying attention.  I was pretty disappointed in that "resolution".