Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VSS and quiesced snapshot removal from 8.1

Hector Chen

Question

Hello, I was testing Vinchin to back up xenserver vms, I found VSS and quiesced snapshot was removed in xenserver 8.1. Does any one know it's a permanant removal since 8.1 and later versions or? I'm so curious, since we need this function to keep our applications consistent, and to use this feature vinchin relies on xenserver. If this is not supported from 8.1 any more, does Citrix has any other alternative solution to help us keeping the applications consistent?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

There's 3 alternatives:

1. Use Xen Orchestra backup with RAM (it will save the VM RAM with the disk too, so a restore will restore the VM as if it's just paused and kept online). Note: this is not yet integrated in Citrix Hypervisor but works in XCP-ng 8.1

2. Use Xen Orchestra offline backup (basically, VM will be shutdown, snapshot, then immediately booted, so offline time is short).

3. Use a dedicated backup agent solution for your application (eg MS SQL backup) in parallel or in replacement of your VM backup solution.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:12 AM, Hector Chen said:

Hello, I was testing Vinchin to back up xenserver vms, I found VSS and quiesced snapshot was removed in xenserver 8.1. Does any one know it's a permanant removal since 8.1 and later versions or? I'm so curious, since we need this function to keep our applications consistent, and to use this feature vinchin relies on xenserver. If this is not supported from 8.1 any more, does Citrix has any other alternative solution to help us keeping the applications consistent?

Thanks!

Don't worry, in next version Vinchin will support two new function modules, database regular backup, and database real-time backup (RPO=0), when these two modules are supported in Vinchin Backup & Recovery 2021 version, you don't need to rely on quiesced snapshot for xenserver 8.x any more. Instead, your workloads will be better protected no matter what business runing in your xenserver infrastructure. 

On 9/8/2020 at 5:43 PM, Olivier Lambert said:

There's 3 alternatives:

1. Use Xen Orchestra backup with RAM (it will save the VM RAM with the disk too, so a restore will restore the VM as if it's just paused and kept online). Note: this is not yet integrated in Citrix Hypervisor but works in XCP-ng 8.1

2. Use Xen Orchestra offline backup (basically, VM will be shutdown, snapshot, then immediately booted, so offline time is short).

3. Use a dedicated backup agent solution for your application (eg MS SQL backup) in parallel or in replacement of your VM backup solution.

Hi Oliver, great to see you here! Can we have a discussion of your solution 1? How it works? And if it's possible for Vinchin to achieve that on XCP-ng like Xen Orchestra does?  

51 minutes ago, Shall Ao said:

Don't worry, in next version Vinchin will support two new function modules, database regular backup, and database real-time backup (RPO=0), when these two modules are supported in Vinchin Backup & Recovery 2021 version, you don't need to rely on quiesced snapshot for xenserver 8.x any more. Instead, your workloads will be better protected no matter what business runing in your xenserver infrastructure. 

So it will require an agent inside the VM, yes? It's not just VM backup then, it's "application" backup, right? Will it backup the VM separately, and how you'll "consolidate" this after a restore? (because you end by managing applications at one side, and VM at the other).

45 minutes ago, Shall Ao said:

Hi Oliver, great to see you here! Can we have a discussion of your solution 1? How it works? And if it's possible for Vinchin to achieve that on XCP-ng like Xen Orchestra does?  

Hey :) We had to modify XCP-ng (XAPI in fact) to support the creation of VM in the "paused" state. The only drawback is the time to save the RAM into the SR, which can takes time if you have large VM (eg 8GiB+ RAM) and be visible if you have active users at backup time. However, we are designing a better solution to get "kind of" same behaviour with VM disks, using copy on write for the RAM. So the operation of saving memory will happen in an async way, without affecting the VM at all.

I clearly think this is really the future, because all your apps running will be restored "live" without even "thinking" a reboot happened. No need for any agent.

About how it works in Xen Orchestra, remember: it's also all Open Source! (you should try to do open source, it's great ;) ). Feel free to take a look in our code base!