Welcome to our new Citrix community!

TCP Socket redirection (TCP port randomization) for apps

William Williams

Question

I have an app that opens a TCP listening socket on the XenDesktop server. The apps thinks its opening port 4321 (just as an example), but when I use 'netstat -an' I can see that port isn't opened.

I used sysinternals process explorer to identify that the listening port is changed to something high like 22443, which is semi randomized each time the app is started.

What process/policy within the Citrix stack does this redirection/randomization?

How can I force it to use the correct/original port number?

3 answers to this question

Hi,
If you install the app in a server without any Citrix software it works always in the same port? I think that Citrix policy cannot redirect ports for an specific application. I believe that this is not a Citrix Issue.

If you install the app in a server outside Citrix infraestructure ands works always in the same port, you can test what modify the port, by installing one software a time and check the app port.

Regards.

14 hours ago, Nicolaacutes Ventre said:

Hi,
If you install the app in a server without any Citrix software it works always in the same port? I think that Citrix policy cannot redirect ports for an specific application. I believe that this is not a Citrix Issue.

If you install the app in a server outside Citrix infraestructure ands works always in the same port, you can test what modify the port, by installing one software a time and check the app port.

Regards.

Yes, and its not just one app, but any app that opens a listening TCP port. I'll use "iperf3.exe -s" as an example. It opens TCP 5201 by default. When I run that on a regular Windows 2016 server, or Win2016 RDSH Server, it works as expected, and opens TCP 5201. When I run it on my Citrix server, the commandline output from iperf3.exe says its opened 5201, but "netstat -an | find ":5201"" shows that port is not open, and procexp shows iperf.exe has instead opened a high port like 22443.

We are also using PVS, applayering and FSLogix. Are any of those things likely to cause that behavior?