Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How many vCPU can I give

Question

Hi, I am new to Xen Server. I have a Dell T440 Dual Socket supported Server with Single 8Core/16Thread Xeon Processor. I want to assign maximum number of CPU's to a single machine. I read somewhere that one core equals to approximately two vCPU, which means I can assign up to 16 vCPUs. But whenever I select more than 8 vCPU, it give me warning (more vCPUs than physical CPU's may lead to reduce VM performance.) Can you please suggest, which of the option mentioned below should I chose to assign maximum number of CPU's to my single VM.

8 Socket with 1 Core per Socket.

4 Socket with 2 Core per Socket.

2 Socket with 4 Core per Socket.

1 Socket with 8 Core per Socket. 

3 answers to this question

You have to give the number of vCPUs the VM will really need, so this depends on a lot of factors, like what kind of VM and applications you are running.

High CPU idle times can cause slow performance. Giving more vCPUs than necessary does not means the VM will run faster, actually more vCPUs than necessary may slow down your VM.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Jose Pablo Benavides said:

You have to give the number of vCPUs the VM will really need, so this depends on a lot of factors, like what kind of VM and applications you are running.

High CPU idle times can cause slow performance. Giving more vCPUs than necessary does not means the VM will run faster, actually more vCPUs than necessary may slow down your VM.

Hi, we host websites and apps for about 300 customers in IIS. The problem is before I installed Xen Server, I was running Windows 2016 directly on server and everything was working great. The moment I installed Windows 2016 on Xen Server, my OS started to freeze frequently (like when I click a folder to open, it freezes for like 1-2 seconds). Task Viewer is not showing any high usage. I ran xentop from console and it was showing 107% below CPU(%) VBD_00 in front of my VM name (idk what VBD_00 is, image attached). Can you please suggest 

Xen.JPG