Welcome to our new Citrix community!

stop and deleting log file opcualds.log file from inside my VM

GHARIEB AREF

Question

Dear all,

VM : windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise, C drive near full , opcualds.log is 12GB size .

some guys suggest to open config file ualds.ini and modify log level to error to stop logging process 

and now i want to release some volume by deleting this log file opcualds.log

my question : your suggestion to delete this log file without affecting services on this VM.

thanks,

Capture_1.png

Capture.PNG

full_size_c.PNG

disk_clean_2.PNG

4 answers to this question

Dealing with the log file size issue isn't going to make this stop; I would suggest reviewing exactly why it is filling up to find out what's causing this. Deleting a log can lead to issues; if you want to zero it out you can run "cat /dev/null > /path-to-directory/opcualds.log" which won't delete the original file. Some log processes will not automatically re-create files, so you have to be careful.

The log file will be 'locked' by the running Service, on Windows machines, you must release the handle to the file from the running process that has the file locked.  The safest way to do this is to stop the running service.  Delete the file or it's content.   As the vendor recommends, change the logging level to reduce the rate of growth on that logfile. 

thanks topias , thanks dclark116

so tobias,you want me to write this command:"cat /dev/null > /path-to-directory/opcualds.log" to console of xenserver to deleting the log? ,i want to be sure from my taken  actions ,so you mean it must be appeared in files directory from console also

thanks

You could do that, as well, to zero out the file contents. Some rotation scripts will copy the original to a backup log and instead of deleting ad re-creating the log file, just cat the null device to that file. The reason for that is that some logging engines freak out if they were writing to a file and suddenly, the file disappears; in that case, the logging has to be temporarily suspended, a "touch" command run to create a new empty file, and the logging then resumed to that file.

-=Tobias