Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Disable automatic Update of I/O Drivers and XenTools in Windows VMs (XenServer 7.1 LTSR)

Thomas Falkner

Question

Hi there,

we would like to disable the automatic Installation of I/O Drivers and XenTools in a Windows Server 2016 VM.

I followed this article https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX222494 and disable the update of the Management Agent via the RegKey and on XenServer as mentioned.

After that, the Virtualization state of the VM shows furthermore  "Able to receive updates from Windows Update".

This could be changed on XenServer (xe vm-param-set uuid=[UUID of VM]  has-vendor-device=false) but I don't know If this would be necessary and smart to do so.

I tried this, but the I/O Driver Update-Packages was also delivered. PVS-Image which are built with a machine with "Not able to receive...." won't start on machines with "Able to receive...."

It seems to work for the manangement agent (XenTools), but I/O Drivers are still delivered via Windows Update.

The Key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\XenTools\AutoUpdate\InstallDrivers" is set to "NO", but it seems to have no effect.

Is there a way to disable the update of I/O Drivers via Windows Update? We would like to run Windows Updates without the I/O Driver Updates.

Bye,

Tom

5 answers to this question

hello, we are experiencing the same issue in our environment.  after running windows update on our VMs, the Xen I/O drivers are installing automatically.  we want to disable this as we use the Citrix management agent to manually update drivers when needed.  Our VM's are unresponsive after running these auto updates and is preventing us from updating windows.  has anyone figured out a solution for this? 

Hello,

thanks @all for your replies!

In a Citrix Hypervisor 8.2 environment it works as expected with the configuration @Jose Pablo Benavides provided. The I/O drivers are not installed over Windows Update.

In my 7.1 environment it doesn't work with this configuration in combination with the original XenTools and Drivers. The driver update 9.1.0.4 from March was delivered via Windows Update in any case. An upgrade of the I/O-drivers leads to the same problems as Ron described above. Because of that  I'm concerned about upgrading to the newest Citrix VM Tools in my "old" environment.

I found two ways that did it for me in my "old" configuration:

1. After updates and before reboot go to "device manager"--> "system" and change the driver of the "Xen Server....." devices to an older version if they  were updated to Version 9... This worked in most cases.
  2. I pointed my workers to our companies´ WSUS. I found out that they anyhow lost the configuration and searched online for updates. The "Citrix 9.1.0.4"-Update only comes via Windows Update "online" and not via WSUS. It seems that Microsoft doens't ship this update to WSUS.