Welcome to our new Citrix community!

High CPU on client machine when using Teams

Daniel Dunn1709158952

Question

- VDA Version and OS - 1912 and Server 2016

- CWA Version and OS - 2006 and Windows 10

-  Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.15561 with CLI flag ALLUSER = 1 (Program Files)

Hi, we find that Teams works well for some and not so well for others.

The issues we find are stuttering video and and lip sync issues.

I have noticed that on the client machine the CPU is running quite high, and I am wondering if it is because the client device does not have enough resources to run smoothly.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of CPU required by the client machine?

The quality may be reduced but at least video calls could run more smoothly

Thanks 

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Daniel Dunn1709158952 said:

- VDA Version and OS - 1912 and Server 2016

- CWA Version and OS - 2006 and Windows 10

-  Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.15561 with CLI flag ALLUSER = 1 (Program Files)

Hi, we find that Teams works well for some and not so well for others.

The issues we find are stuttering video and and lip sync issues.

I have noticed that on the client machine the CPU is running quite high, and I am wondering if it is because the client device does not have enough resources to run smoothly.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of CPU required by the client machine?

The quality may be reduced but at least video calls could run more smoothly

Thanks 

Yes, you can reduce the encoding resolution. Encoding is the main CPU consumer, Decoding is less intensive.

So, you can try forcing H264 codec (more frugal than VP9 in terms of CPU), and try 360p.

See here: 

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-workspace-app-for-windows/configure.html#endpoint-encoder-performance-estimator-on-microsoft-teams

On 7/15/2020 at 3:07 PM, Fernando Klurfan1709153904 said:

Yes, you can reduce the encoding resolution. Encoding is the main CPU consumer, Decoding is less intensive.

So, you can try forcing H264 codec (more frugal than VP9 in terms of CPU), and try 360p.

See here: 

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-workspace-app-for-windows/configure.html#endpoint-encoder-performance-estimator-on-microsoft-teams

Is there any way to reduce the quality of the incoming video?

I think it only effects the outgoing video, or thats what it seems when I test it?

Do the make/model of webcams used make a difference to CPU and bandwidth used?

We have similar with Wyse 5070 ThinOS thin clients.   Our work with Dell and Citrix has shown that it seems to be the audio codec chosen by Teams when setting up a meeting has a huge impact on endpoint resource consumption.   We found that sharing the screen in a meeting makes the audio quality drop enormously, and using your webcam has a similar effect (which isn't surprising, as the Teams optimization works by sending the screen as a video feed).   Also, the other versions of Teams in the meeting makes a big difference, if everyone is on a thin client it isn't so bad, but as soon as you put a laptop or other fat client running Teams into the meeting, it starts going wrong.  We have tickets open with Microsoft to look at it, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Considering that Teams optimization has been around for a year, and how well everything used to work on Skype, this is still a bitter disappointment.   Incredibly poor show from all concerned.