Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix ADC in Azure - GSLB question (how to stop the automatic transfer to secondary site).

Good day.

So, we are having some issues with our setup with Citrix ADCs.  When we switch over to the secondary site (because our HA setup failovers, for example), our users experience tons of profile issues, like profiles being moved from the primary file server to the backup file server, profile files being locked, etc.  We want to deal with these issues, but first, we have to mitigate, and give ourselves the chance to resolve these issues.

Here is what I would like to do:  Stop the automatic transfer that the GSLB does of the primary site to the secondary site, at least until we are able to resolve all the profile issues.

The setup:

Lets name the primary site PROD, and the secondary site DR.

All the servers are located in the Azure cloud.  PROD is in one region, DR is in another.

All traffic is routed through Azure Load Balancer.

PROD has a Active-Passive setup.

DR is a single server.

When the Primary PROD server goes down, traffic is immediately routed to the DR farm.  The secondary server doesn't get a chance to pickup the load.  That's one thing we have to fix, but again we'd like to just make the DR not automatically be activated.  If there is a switch we can use to manually activate the DR, that would be great.  Alternatively, can we simply raise the timeout values monitor of the GSLB to something like 60 minutes before the switch occurs?  Then we can fix whatever problem is occuring in PROD before switching over.

Again, this is a temporary measure, while we get our act together (original Citrix ADC setup was done by a consultant, and there are lingering issues ever since).

If you need any clarifications, please let me know.

Edit the GSLB vServer. I assume you have Backup vServer configured. You can remove the configuration for that setting by choosing the blank line at the top of the list.

You can certainly bind monitors to your GSLB Services and those monitors can have any timeout you choose.

21 hours ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Edit the GSLB vServer. I assume you have Backup vServer configured. You can remove the configuration for that setting by choosing the blank line at the top of the list.

You can certainly bind monitors to your GSLB Services and those monitors can have any timeout you choose.

So by removing the backup vserver, the GSLB will not switch to the DR site?  

Furthermore, since we are in HA in the PROD environment:

Gateway A on primary has ip 1.1.1.1.  The configuration for Gateway A is automatically copied to the secondary appliance, and on the secondary appliance, Gateway A has ip 1.1.1.2.

Right now, the GSLB has a single service binding that points to 1.1.1.1.  If we wanted to have the GSLB take into account the secondary appliance, would we have to create a service group binding instead?  And if both 1.1.1.1 AND 1.1.1.2 are unavailable, then we get switched to the DR?

I'm sorry, but the GSLB stuff is a bit over my head.  I did read your document on it.