Welcome to our new Citrix community!

The Citrix Config Sync Service failed an import (eventid 505) after upgrade from 1906 to 2006

Martijn Humblet

Question

We recently upgraded our DDC's to 7 version 2006 (from 1906). Since then local host caching does not seem to replicate between the servers. We observe the following event logs every ~70 seconds as seen in the error loop.png.

The exact error message is:

The Citrix Config Sync Service failed an import.

Error details:
Error importing configuration data into secondary Broker.
New-BrokerImportDb: Unknown error occurred
Exception Position: ConfigSync.ps1:1352.

Line 1352 contains the following code: $importDatabaseConnectionString = New-BrokerImportDb -AdminAddress $secondaryBrokerAdminAddress

I see the mdf and ldf files appearing in the folder C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService and disappearing after a few seconds. When lhc gets disabled with its powershell command, the errors stop being generated.

We tried the following:

-recreate the lhc according to this document: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX228758 to no avail (the article mentions to stop the HA service and then to delete the CitrixHA database and files, but when we stop the service, the files and database no longer exist and therefore cannot be deleted);

-Disabling lhc and rebooting the servers and re-enabling it again;

-Enabling trace logging through Set-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Citrix\DesktopServer\LHC -Name EnableCssTraceMode -Value 1. The regkey gets created, but no trace logs are generated.

Can anyone point us in the right direction?

error loop.PNG

3 answers to this question

Hello,

I got the same issue.

For me it was e problem after an upgade.

1) stopped citrix ha

2) go to programs and software

3) removed microsoft sql server 20xx localdb that was different from 2017

4) installed from iso E:\Support\SQLLocalDB\sqllocaldb.msi

5) restarted citrix ha

6) citrixha was created and error is gone

Use this link to check if CitrixHA is created.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX228758

The sqllocaldb is verion 140 and not 120.

Succes

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Roel Niesen said:

Hello,

I got the same issue.

For me it was e problem after an upgade.

1) stopped citrix ha

2) go to programs and software

3) removed microsoft sql server 20xx localdb that was different from 2017

4) installed from iso E:\Support\SQLLocalDB\sqllocaldb.msi

5) restarted citrix ha

6) citrixha was created and error is gone

Use this link to check if CitrixHA is created.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX228758

The sqllocaldb is verion 140 and not 120.

Succes

Roel, you are my hero! I have performed the steps as suggested and have solved the issue on our side. Much appreciated!

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/1912-ltsr/upgrade-migrate/upgrade.html#replace-sql-server-express-localdb

If you installed a Delivery Controller version earlier than 1912 and then upgrade your deployment to version 1912 or later, Citrix does not automatically upgrade the SQL Server Express LocalDB version. Why not? Because you might have non-Citrix components that rely on SQL Server Express LocalDB. If you have non-Citrix components that are using SQL Server Express LocalDB, ensure that upgrading SQL Server Express LocalDB does not disrupt those components. To upgrade (replace) the SQL Server Express LocalDB version, follow the guidance in this section.

• When upgrading Delivery Controllers to Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops version 1912, 1912 LTSR, or 2003: Upgrading SQL Server Express LocalDB is optional. Local Host Cache works properly, with no loss of functionality, regardless of whether you upgrade SQL Server Express LocalDB. We added the option to move to a newer version of SQL Server Express LocalDB in case there are concerns about end of support from Microsoft for SQL Server Express LocalDB 2014.
  • When upgrading Delivery Controllers to Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops versions newer than 2003: The minimum supported version is SQL Server Express 2017 LocalDB Cumulative Update (CU) 16. If you originally installed a Delivery Controller earlier than version 1912, and have not replaced SQL Server Express LocalDB with a newer version since then, you must replace that database software now. Otherwise, Local Host Cache will not work.