Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Space issues on XenCenter - SR_BACKEND_FAILURE_44

Peter Colborn

Question

Hi,

I am trying to snapshot our VM but I am unable to do it as it keeps coming back with Error code: SR_BACKEND_FAILURE_44; Error parameters: , There is insufficient space.  

image.thumb.png.264fc4e34cc5da8c5c6255cda3e346ab.png

There are 2 VM's on this server but both only amount to 400Gb, I don't know how it says that 926.8Gb is being used and a virtual allocation of 1423.6Gb?

I have managed to reduce the drive space and shrink the volume on one VM drive by 100Gb but I cannot seem to reclaim the space on the local storage within storage on XenCenter.

I have looked on a few forums and tried a few things suggested on there but none seem to work.

4 answers to this question

This is an LVM volume, hence thick-provisioned. At some point of too full it won't coalesce after reaching above around 90% capacity. If you have spare space on another SR, you could try migrating some of the storage to it temporarily. If that still doesn't work, you may need to export. delete, and import back in some of the VMs,meaning downtime, unfortunately.

Note that the coalesce process can take up to 24 hours.

20 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

This is an LVM volume, hence thick-provisioned. At some point of too full it won't coalesce after reaching above around 90% capacity. If you have spare space on another SR, you could try migrating some of the storage to it temporarily. If that still doesn't work, you may need to export. delete, and import back in some of the VMs,meaning downtime, unfortunately.

Note that the coalesce process can take up to 24 hours.

Hi Tobias,

In terms of drive sizes then. We did add additional disks to the server (600Gb) in the hopes it might be as simple as adding more disks to counter the full drive. I did have a look and am I right in thinking that I need to rebuild the server before it can use those drives?

If I export the VM to another server is that effectively taking a snapshot of the VM and importing it to that new server, so the original is still in place? Or will it completely move it across to the other server, removing the instance from the original?

Not too hot on Citrix and how it works. I have a very, very basic knowledge of the software.

It depends if you added the storage as one or more new SRs vs. expanding the existing SR< which is way more complicated. You can migrate the storage live (I think that works across all recent XS versions that are reasonably new and most if not all versions, including free, but check on that , first) and the VM remains running the entire time. If you deleted snapshots before migrating, this will reduce storage in the process of going to a new SR.  Adding more space to an existing SR won't get rid of the old cached storage unless there's enough room at some point to enable an SR-scan that can successfully do the coalescing.  There is no "exporting to another server" involved here; all this would take place within the same pool, and all you are doing is moving the storage around.  Note that however migrating a VM plus its storage to a whole other pool is certainly possible under certain conditions, but it seems unlikely that this is want you want to do. The worst case scenario would be to shut down the VMs, export them, make sure the SR is all cleaned up, and import the VMs back in. That would be very time-consuming and make for a lot of downtime.

-=Tobias

I just plugged the drives in and was hoping they would be visible within the server but I cant seem to find them or see that they are there. Hence where I read, you might need to reinstall XS in order to make the drives become active, but a) not sure that's true and b)not sure how to do it.

image.thumb.png.49fe9ee9479375c37bb392bfb436fdc2.png

image.thumb.png.ccd08809062e3a0b6e00654941454e9c.png

There's hardly much data for both VM's, but I can take a snapshot of the SQL server, just not the email server.

Would I have to create a new SR then move the data from the email to this new SR? Don't think there's enough space to create one large enough for us.

Sorry, I'm not that great on Citrix...!