Welcome to our new Citrix community!

UEFI Issues - App Layering 2003

Question

Hello,

I am currently using App Layering 2003 and having issue with Platform Layer functionality. 

Connector - VMWare Vsphere

Backstory - I am limited to a couple of specifics. 1. I am limited to the OS I can use. I am being forced to use Windows 10 AGM 1909 (AGM is a DoD Windows Build) and this build is forced UEFI. Now while I can create the OS Layer using the ImportOsLayer.ps1 when I create the Platform Layer using the ELM my Platform Layer is getting BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO BSOD and is on BIOS for Boot Options in Vsphere. I can however boot into Safe Mode. I do have a ticket in with Support and awaiting my call back. Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this issue or am I just dead in the water at this point.

10 answers to this question

On 7/6/2020 at 12:56 PM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Hi you need to use a vmware template defined in your connector and that template should set the packaging machine to EFI.  Of course you will also have to use the compositing engine functionality defined in your connector.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, or maybe its this image. I created the template and defined it in my connector. Maybe I am confused about the compositing engine functionality defined in my connector. Can you elaborate. I have been at this for a couple of weeks trying to figure it out and and the only image I have had working is the a straight retail image from Microsoft. If I use this AGM image that I have to use, no matter what I keep getting the BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO BSOD. I do see now that my platform layer is EFI but it keeps BSOD.

When you enable the compositing engine it uses the packaging machines themselves to build the packaging machine image on a windows embedded OS.  This is required for us to create EFI Images.  Normally we see BSODs in PVS when the hardware does not match the hardware used when you created your OS layer.  So we normally recommend you create the vmware template from a clone of the gold image you used to create your os layer.  Then you would have to make sure you change the VM from Bios to EFI before you make it a template.  Of course there could be other issues.  Are you testing with just a platform layer when creating your image?  If not try that.  Do you have any other hardware requirements like are you including NVIDIA GRID cards or computational cards in the image.  If so i would start without that.  You can also try just publishing an image to vSphere to see what happens when the image boots.  Is it learning about new devices?

1 hour ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

When you enable the compositing engine it uses the packaging machines themselves to build the packaging machine image on a windows embedded OS.  This is required for us to create EFI Images.  Normally we see BSODs in PVS when the hardware does not match the hardware used when you created your OS layer.  So we normally recommend you create the vmware template from a clone of the gold image you used to create your os layer.  Then you would have to make sure you change the VM from Bios to EFI before you make it a template.  Of course there could be other issues.  Are you testing with just a platform layer when creating your image?  If not try that.  Do you have any other hardware requirements like are you including NVIDIA GRID cards or computational cards in the image.  If so i would start without that.  You can also try just publishing an image to vSphere to see what happens when the image boots.  Is it learning about new devices?

I created the Template from the VM that I want to use as my OS Layer. Same hardware, same host, same datacenter, no additional cards or anything like that. Everything EFI now, Im starting to think that maybe I have something configured incorrectly or something... I was following guides on how to do this. 

This is what my Machine Creation Connector looks like.. I dunno if this helps diagnose or what....

Capture.thumb.PNG.28d377e628e9004a58054971f0e0c64e.PNG

I followed this guide https://www.carlstalhood.com/app-layering-os-layer/ the only think that I have done different is boot option in vSphere is EFI, so I use the ImportOsLayer.ps1 script instead of shutting down the machine and using the ELM to GUI to create the OS Layer. I use the ELM GUI to create the platform layer and followed steps in this Guide and then still getting BSOD of BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO . It just doesn't make sense to me as I ran all the optimizations and everything. My platform layer is EFI as well and I can only get it to boot into SAFE Mode. Im really lost at this point I guess

Hi,

We followed those steps to build an PVS image (1912 LTSR CU4) with App Layering 2110 :

- Build of the OS Layer with a VM created with UEFI Mode Secure boot enable

- Use of the ImportOsLayer.ps1 script to import the OS Layer into the ELM

- Build of the platform layer with differents agents (WEM, VDA, PVS target device)

- Creation of the template using the composite engine

- Set in the vSphere Connector the template with UEFI Mode Secure boot enable we used to create our targets devices (the same one we use in the Xendesktop Setup Wizard in PVS)

Everything work fine for us following those steps !