Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Session starts up disappears, but session is active in Studio and on server

Abdulaziz Loonat

Question

Anyone come across this issue

seems to happen on sever 2016 and 2019 and after server has been up for a few days

server running VDA 1909

Symptoms as follows

users launches application, can see it progressing on Windows 10 desktop via workspace App but disappears and application not launched or visible on client device

now on the server the session is active and on Studio the sessions is active (session state is active)

Only fix is to reboot server

a

15 answers to this question

Hello, 

1. If you attempt to relaunch the same published resource, does it connect to that session that is active or does it repeat the behavior?

2. Are there any events in the Windows Event logs (Application) that show the session startup and ending (and anything in between that might be useful)?

3. Does this happen regardless of method of access (via WorkSpace app or via browser to Storefront, internal vs. external, or using Citrix Quick Launch)?

Other than those questions, it couldn't hurt to verify that the registry keys and values listed in the following article are configured properly:  https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX200393

Just out of curiosity, do you reboot your VDAs regularly on any kind of a schedule or do you only reboot them when necessary?  It is interesting that this only seems to occur after the VDA has been online for a few days.  

If nothing else, would it be possible to configure (either via policy or script/scheduled task) the VDAs to reboot gracefully on a regular interval to see if they issue stops?  I couldn't find anything in the release notes for the 1909 Server OS VDA that (to me) sounds like it would be causing or related to your issue.

Regards,

Jim G.

to reply to your questions

Hello, 

1. If you attempt to relaunch the same published resource, does it connect to that session that is active or does it repeat the behavior?

We have it set so only one instance of application can be launched by a user - if I disabled this the user can launch application on a different server (as serve with issue is put into maintenance mode)

2. Are there any events in the Windows Event logs (Application) that show the session startup and ending (and anything in between that might be useful)?

None

3. Does this happen regardless of method of access (via WorkSpace app or via browser to Storefront, internal vs. external, or using Citrix Quick Launch)?

Occurs regardless of using workspace or storefront

Just out of curiosity, do you reboot your VDAs regularly on any kind of a schedule or do you only reboot them when necessary?  It is interesting that this only seems to occur after the VDA has been online for a few days. 

We have now scheduled to reboot server ever 2 days (just set up the schedule this morning)

This issue was logged with both MS and Citrix and neither will take ownership of issue, MS says its a Citrix issue and Citrix say its an MS (operating system) issue

As I say the weird thing is from Citrix point of view the session is active and running (confirmed this on Stduio and RDP'ing to server and can see the session via task manager) its just not active as a seamless session on users desktop

I have seen this before, but not just showing up "randomly" and clearing up. In my case, it was always and restarts didn't fix anything. For 2019 servers, I had forgotten to include our SeamlessFlags setting 0x104  and DisableLogonUISuppression 0x0.   This was in testing before we went live, so no user impact there.

For 2016 we had an issue with the VDACleanUp utility not fully completing the removal and the an install didn't upgrade all components properly. A complete VDACleanUp with the latest release and reinstall cleared them up. 

I know not much help, but maybe can give you something to look at, hopefully. 

On 7/6/2020 at 9:28 AM, Abdulaziz Loonat said:

seems to happen on sever 2016 and 2019 and after server has been up for a few days

server running VDA 1909

Symptoms as follows

users launches application, can see it progressing on Windows 10 desktop via workspace App but disappears and application not launched or visible on client device

now on the server the session is active and on Studio the sessions is active (session state is active)

a

Did you figure this out? I just ran into this problem this morning and like you, a reboot of my VDAs was the fix. I've been concurrently dealing with an issue where users cannot reconnect to legit sessions, and also sometimes Studio shows sessions that are not actually on a VDA anymore (reboot needed to fix those too). Possibly all related and finally just broke everything.

due to working on other projects not really had time to investigate further, As I say the quick and dirty fix is reboot server ever 2 days

My personal view is it may be due to some network stack on the operating system running out of resource.

The scenario is this only occurs on servers with heavy usage (maximum users connected at one time on servers for my case is 30) and I suspect the log out and login process for Windows is eating up resource on the network stack.

What is frustrating is neither Citrix or Microsoft are willing to take ownership of the issue. 

I am about to upgrade to build 2006, see if this resolves the issue

I just came across this same issue in my environment.  My VDA version is 1912 cu3 with the 1912.0.3003 profile patch since we use Citrix Profile Management.  We use MCS to create the machines from a few templates created with Citrix Applayering.  I have Delivery groups created from the same Machine catalog and in the other delivery group no issues.  This morning I had the same issues that is described where the session appears to launch but disappears to the end user.  Director and Studio both sees the session as active.  I logged the session off with Director and reconnected which picked a different server but same results.  I suspect that if I had  rebooted the servers maybe it would have worked for a few days as well.  I ended up reverting to server 2008R2 for the time being until I can figure out what is going on.  

I guess that unfortunately no one has found a solution yet?
We now have the same problem.
CVAD 1912 CU5 LTSR and Windows Server 2016.

We have a total of 5 machine catalogs. The problem occurs only on one, although all group policies and settings are exactly the same, for all VDAs.
Unfortunately, this is the main catalog where this happens.

Just had to upgrade to 1912 CU5 since 7.15s are end of life...

New DDCs/Storefronts/PVSs are Server 2019.

Left my PVS images on 2012R2.

It's random. The user, the workstation, the VDA it hits when it has the problem.

Caught one that while it was happening.

- Nothing is displayed for the end user but DDC sees all as fine.

connection2.thumb.png.60569de36c8c86ce9f3b876bce2516a0.png

-  If I kill Workspace or reboot the workstation, DDC sees the session as disconnected.

connection.thumb.png.dedef4918d35e4fdaa4092b55afb08b5.png

- Relaunching the app just keeps reconnecting to that same session. (regardless of what the BrokerAppEntitlementPolicyRule is set to)

RDP'd to the server and found this .. Disconnected RDS session with 4 orphaned processes. Not sure if it's related. But heck, had a similar issue where a few AD user accounts were broken on specific Delivery Groups but fine on others, also leaving disconnected RDS sessions with 5 orphaned processes.

(Resetting the impacted user's password fixed the previous issue. Don't ask, I don't get it either. ) 
image.thumb.png.adf9429cd5e3ef7c7de31a3d2b7eb542.png

There were a handful of setting (GPOs) that I applied to my test VDAs while trying to fix the previous issue, and notice this new issue does not seem to be impacting them.

I have applied those GPOs to the currently impacted VDAs and am going to let it run and see if it repeats.  Trying to avoid having to reboot a running production environment to get the GPO to apply, I used PDQ to push gpupdate /force. As well as to cycle the BrokerAgent and ctxProfile services.

And killed the following tasks on the running servers. (This should only impact users if there session is in the "Prelogon" state.)

TASKKILL /F /IM winlogon.exe
TASKKILL /F /IM csrss.exe
TASKKILL /F /IM LogonUI.exe

Out of the hundreds of VDAs, only 3 were not responding to the push to cycle services with active stuck sessions, and HAD to be manually shutdown and booted back up.

If my issue clears up, I will post my changes. If not, I'm putting in a ticket.

On 7/6/2020 at 11:28 PM, Abdulaziz Loonat said:

server running VDA 1909

Symptoms as follows

a

have you tried asking user to logout, delete the user's profile, and get them to log back in again then launch app?