Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Unable to upgrade VM Tools on Windows Server 2012 guest

Paul Tulloch

Question

Hi

I'm intending to move all VMs from 6.2 to Hypervisor 8. I've exported a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM to a file, then imported that into the new install (v8). Initially, the VM failed to boot but I removed the existing install of VM Tools via safe mode, then tried to install the new tools. It fails with a "Windows Management agent failed to install' error. I've seen this article: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX236718?_ga=2.264886477.3155295.1593526049-869256120.1587375963

and another similar, but I can't run Pstools, as I get an access is denied message. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get the tools installed on this VM?

Any help much appreciated.

Paul

7 answers to this question

XenTools is a PITA.  First I would try showing hidden devices in device manager and restarting and see if you 

can get the Tools to install. If not then you will probably need to remove all files/folders associated with XenTools

and also the registry entries. You could also try going into safe mode and doing that registry change that allows

you to run msi installers and see if you can get it to install that way.  Bottom like is its going to take some time

and persistence to get it all ironed out.

--Alan--

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply Alan. It's taking up so much time, it's very frustrating. The KB articles from Citrix all refer to deleting registry entries but using psexec to do it, but I just keep getting an access denied message when trying to run psexec. It feels like this ought to be easier!

I never remote and use psexec, I do all of my changes directly from a console. 

Yes, its very frustrating when the tools don't install properly. Its always been 

that way. Also, be sure to snapshot frequently, I've had VM's blue screen and 

become unbootable when making these kinds of low level boot changes.

--Alan--

Hi

Just to follow up on this. I found this thread: https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/378943-move-windows-vm-from-xenserver-65-to-70/page/2/?_fromLogin=1 which contains the following solution from @Michael Bartman.

From an elevated cmd: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

start devmgmt.msc

Make sure to go to view and click Show Hidden Devices

I delayed rebooting until I had removed everything, and that seems to have been the golden ticket for me.

This worked for me. Hopefully this will help anyone coming across this post. My thanks to all contributors in both this thread, and the other.

Cheers

Paul

On 7/1/2020 at 2:50 PM, Alan Lantz said:

XenTools is a PITA.  First I would try showing hidden devices in device manager and restarting and see if you 

can get the Tools to install. If not then you will probably need to remove all files/folders associated with XenTools

and also the registry entries. You could also try going into safe mode and doing that registry change that allows

you to run msi installers and see if you can get it to install that way.  Bottom like is its going to take some time

and persistence to get it all ironed out.

--Alan--

Sorry Alan, I've just noticed you did in fact suggest this solution! Somehow it passed me by completely!